No Chill during cold winters

Recurring Session

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, I moved recently and with that found a single problem with my brewing setup. Chilling in the winter could prove to be a challenge. But, I woke up yesterday with the visions of a friend who utilizes the no chill method floating in his backyard pond (which may seem really weird, but his beers are amazing). With that said, I am thinking of trying out the method utilizing an extra keg (rather than the cube) which I would likely set outside for a bit of time to slightly speed up the initial cooling phase. What I am wondering is if there are any cold weather no chill brewers who can share some experiences. For obvious reason there is plenty of info from down under, but I am trying to see if there is anything I can expect with this system in the cold/freezing weather.

I just did my first no chill myself setting it over night in the garage that was 50F so Ill let you know on that at least, it's a lager to so will see about the clarity when done, it's ok too freeze wort overnight I've done it may times by accident chilling in a freezer

If left unchecked well below 0 you could run into frozen wort problems or possibly cracked gaskets. Fermentation hasn't started yet so there's no alcohol content to inhibit freezing. Frozen wort could rupture a full keg, damage fittings and the stem.

If left unchecked well below 0 you could run into frozen wort problems or possibly cracked gaskets. Fermentation hasn't started yet so there's no alcohol content to inhibit freezing. Frozen wort could rupture a full keg, damage fittings and the stem.
Yep, I get all of that. I am thinking just the initial cooling (ie. down to 140-150°ish), mostly for hoppy styles. If I wouldn't be around, I'll just set it in my basement, which I would hopefully plan on for the more malty beers.

and then transfer back to a fermentor for fermentation?

I've used our Colorado cold weather and a snow bank a time or two. It works. It works much quicker if you can keep the liquid moving and enough snow packed around it. I ended up getting a Jaded coil to really take advantage of our cold water temps. I can cool 6 gallons in a matter of minutes and the water used is minimal.

and then transfer back to a fermentor for fermentation?
Yes. The keg would just allow the container to be sealed and sterilized completely, but I would push the wort into my better bottle for fermentation.

I've used our Colorado cold weather and a snow bank a time or two. It works. It works much quicker if you can keep the liquid moving and enough snow packed around it. I ended up getting a Jaded coil to really take advantage of our cold water temps. I can cool 6 gallons in a matter of minutes and the water used is minimal.
I haven't tried a snow bank in many years, it seemed to insulate the wort more than cool it. With a good amount more knowledge, I could make that work but it seems like it would need to be moved around quite a bit.

You dont need freezing conditions for no chill just an average overnight sit at even 20c is fine the temperature will align eventually then just chill it them few more degrees to pitching temp in ferm chamber.

just did another no chill lager, the weather temp was down to 45F that night, set both on the deck overnight, start temp was 170F at 6pm, the next morning the wort was 62F at 7am

You dont need freezing conditions for no chill just an average overnight sit at even 20c is fine the temperature will align eventually then just chill it them few more degrees to pitching temp in ferm chamber.

I understand that, but my thought is that if I can speed up the initial chill then I wouldn't have to worry as much about the hop utilization. Seems like there would be some added advantages to getting the wort down below 140-150° before bringing it in to the house.

just did another no chill lager, the weather temp was down to 45F that night, set both on the deck overnight, start temp was 170F at 6pm, the next morning the wort was 62F at 7am

Thanks, this gets me a "rough" idea of cooling times with this method. Any other notes like this would help.

If I had a pool I would absolutely be using it to chill.

Been there done that works a treat! No chill to me means once burner is off rack to cube purge air tighten cap and forget about it until you want it. As for ambient air temp well that's dependent on climate but as close to pitching temp is ideal then there is no waiting around once you want to get fermentation rolling. Yes I could imagine if you left your cube to chill outside in winter over there you just might wake to a block of frozen wort:eek::). To me in QLD that.is just unfathomable...

Been there done that works a treat! No chill to me means once burner is off rack to cube purge air tighten cap and forget about it until you want it. As for ambient air temp well that's dependent on climate but as close to pitching temp is ideal then there is no waiting around once you want to get fermentation rolling. Yes I could imagine if you left your cube to chill outside in winter over there you just might wake to a block of frozen wort:eek::). To me in QLD that.is just unfathomable...

Haha! I'm betting your pool temps are also much cooler than our pool temps here in Colorado!

Aussies definition of cold is broken though.

Cold? That's when you have to put on shoes and long pants right?

Depends where in Oz you're talking about, remember it's an enormous country.
I'm a long way south of Ben , just dips below freezing here in winter and our summers here often hit over 45 C° for days at a time

Back