Idaho 7 hop flavor profile (hash)

HighVoltageMan!

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone brewed a beer with Idaho 7? I got four/ 4 ounces packages of Idaho 7 "hop hash" (1 pound total) and was wondering what was the flavor profile like. Hop hash is the resin left over from the pellet making process, similar to lupilin, but more like a tar, Weird, but awesome.

I have made a beer from hop hash before, but with unspecified hops. I assumed a AA% was 25%. It turned out great, but I'm wondering what the Idaho 7 would be like.

I almost bought some of that from YVH.
I did get 1/2 pound of the pellets.

Let us know what happens when you use it

T

I've used regular Idaho 7 pellets as a single hop beer in the past.

in my beer I got a strong combination of peach/apricot and some lime notes too.

I've used regular Idaho 7 pellets as a single hop beer in the past.

in my beer I got a strong combination of peach/apricot and some lime notes too.
Did you get any dankness? Some people report marijuana and dill.

I've been tempted to snag a few bags of this stuff. I'd take the pot/dank but I'd rather keep the dill out unless it's combined with lemon ala Sorachi Ace.

Did you get any dankness? Some people report marijuana and dill.
ironically, looking back at my recipe on brewers friend, I brewed that beer exactly 2 years ago today. I can't totally remember it, but I don't remember getting any marijuana or dill.

I've been tempted to snag a few bags of this stuff. I'd take the pot/dank but I'd rather keep the dill out unless it's combined with lemon ala Sorachi Ace.
A small number of people said this. Like you, I like some dank, but no dill.

Reactions: J A
ironically, looking back at my recipe on brewers friend, I brewed that beer exactly 2 years ago today. I can't totally remember it, but I don't remember getting any marijuana or dill.
Thanks! That’s what I’m hoping for.

Thanks! That’s what I’m hoping for.

this was two years ago. I am now beginning to believe that hops change drastically these days, whether that be from different farms, or different crops, could even be the alpha acids causing different reactions. There's only so many hops that stay consistent from year to year, but I've noticed variances in the flavors of hops. I can't exactly describe what I'm talking about, but I think what I'm trying to say is that the crop of Idaho 7 I used in 2016 has a chance to be pretty dissimilar to the ones you're buying now.

this was two years ago. I am now beginning to believe that hops change drastically these days, whether that be from different farms, or different crops, could even be the alpha acids causing different reactions. There's only so many hops that stay consistent from year to year, but I've noticed variances in the flavors of hops. I can't exactly describe what I'm talking about, but I think what I'm trying to say is that the crop of Idaho 7 I used in 2016 has a chance to be pretty dissimilar to the ones you're buying now.
That is very true. I’ve noticed a lot of difference year to year. I have also heard that home brewers can’t always get the highest quality available.

I brewed this beer around 3 weeks ago for a Christmas beer and I kegged it a week ago. At first I hated this beer, it smelled like raw hops, came across as vegetal. The hop hash is a little different than any pellets or even lupulin pellets. It comes as a 4 ounce lump of a green hoppy chunk. I had to break it up for the whirlpool and when I got done I had to wash my hands with orange pumice hand cleaner just to get the resin of my hands.

Three weeks after brew day and this beer has matured into a wonderful Christmas beer. I didn't boil any hops, but the bitterness is spot on, aroma is fruity, piney and the flavor is a big grapefruit bomb. This is one of the versions of recipes I used for hop hash, it's pretty cool stuff to work with, so if you get a chance to try it, do by all means. I think it works best in a whirlpool, IMHO.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/447208/hop-hash-experimental

IMG_2134 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Sounds wonderful. Was just wondering if you could just chip pieces off with a knife and soak them in a little warm water to get them in the whirlpool?
Edit: and dryhop

Last edited:
Sounds wonderful. Was just wondering if you could just chip pieces off with a knife and soak them in a little warm water to get them in the whirlpool?
Edit: and dryhop
I think it could be cut up with a knife, or shaved and added directly to the beer. This stuff is really sticky and full of resin. Awesome!

Back