Funky smells...

Bierman707

Trial Member
Reaction score
I had my 2nd brew day last night. I did a partial mash and pitched 2 packets of yeast. This morning the air lock is going ape shit as expected but the smell seems a little funky. Nothing horrid but not what I was expecting. Can there be a contamination issue this early in the fermentation process?

What's your yeast? Almost any strain will throw some sulfur at the right temp. And when you're mashing raw grain, you're releasing a lot of sulfur compounds that have to be broken down and driven off in the boil. What's left is metabolized by the yeast. Bottom line is that if you smell sulfur gas in the airlock, it's not going to be locked up in bad flavors in your beer.
All is probably well.

What's your yeast? Almost any strain will throw some sulfur at the right temp. And when you're mashing raw grain, you're releasing a lot of sulfur compounds that have to be broken down and driven off in the boil. What's left is metabolized by the yeast. Bottom line is that if you smell sulfur gas in the airlock, it's not going to be locked up in bad flavors in your beer.
All is probably well.
It is a sulfur smell. Like a big fart! Okay, well good. It was a partial mash so there was some raw grain used. Thanks for the reply, it helps put my mind at ease.

All is probably well.
The yeast is Danstar Munich 11g packs

I did a Wyeast Munich Lager room temperature test batch and nearly gassed myself out of my basement with the smell.

If this is the batch you pitched at 80° then yes, expect some funky smells.

If this is the batch you pitched at 80° then yes, expect some funky smells.
It doesn't smell anymore now. It actually smells like it should now. Nice clove and banana hints. No over powering hoppy smell like my first one.

It doesn't smell anymore now. It actually smells like it should now. Nice clove and banana hints. No over powering hoppy smell like my first one.
Once active fermentation ends then so too will the sulfury smell. I would be interested in hearing what a sample tastes like.

Once active fermentation ends then so too will the sulfury smell. I would be interested in hearing what a sample tastes like.
I'm going to let it finish out the week before I consider bottling it. Maybe it's still doing something in there. When I do go to bottle it, I'll let you know what the sample tastes like.

Yeah I wouldn't worry to much about smells until you are literally pouring your first pint. Things can change a lot at every step.

funny thing is even from the first pour you can get a better beer in a week or two, odd flavors disappear and ballance happens

Update:
Bottled the beer today. It had no off flavors. It was a little more hoppy than I wanted (again). I'm throwing away the centennial hops. I feel the need to use them just because I have them.
But the good news is... the beer tastes pretty good. No funk and that's a successful brew in my book. I primed it with corn sugar, .87 cups for 4 gallons of wheat beer. Should be pretty good when it's all bubbly. Anyway just wanted to give an update.
I did learn some things, which means my next brew will be better. I'm still wondering when I'm going to thrash a batch and have to dump it.

You know you could just use less of them right?

You know you could just use less of them right?
Yeah, I realize that. But it's just no the right hops for the beer I want. I I'm now what to get next. I think I'm about to have a great brew.

my motto is If it ain't broke, don't fix it. hops fade over time too
Yeah, my first brew was REALLY hoppy at first. But ownits just moderately hoppy. So we'll see where this new brew stands in a couple weeks. I'm really looking forward to to a new flavor

I'd like to know how you measured out .87 cup of sugar, that's an awfully precise number
:D I was thinking that, too. I suspect that a gram scale was involved. Converts to 175 grams or a little over 6 ounces which should give around 3 to 3.5 volumes assuming room temp fermentation, etc.

Back