Successful first brew!!

Bierman707

Trial Member
Reaction score
I brewed it, fermented it, primed it and bottled it. No off flavors, and nothing like I wanted it to be. But it's a successful brew. It's more hoppy then I would have liked (wrong hops altogether) I'm starting my next brew day tomorrow with a whole new recipe. I'll put it in my recipes in the morning. It tastes pretty good though. Pretty high alcohol content, more than expected anyway.
15387968734547918535617757725993.jpg

I brewed it, fermented it, primed it and bottled it. No off flavors, and nothing like I wanted it to be. But it's a successful brew. It's more hoppy then I would have liked (wrong hops altogether) I'm starting my next brew day tomorrow with a whole new recipe. I'll put it in my recipes in the morning. It tastes pretty good though. Pretty high alcohol content, more than expected anyway.View attachment 4036

Congrats! The first is always a challenge, but when the outcome is good you're hooked. Welcome to the obsession.

Congrats on your first brew! Always a little trial and error involved but you'll get the hang of it as you rebrew recipes/styles. What are you brewing tomorrow?

Good work! Now that you have a little more idea of what works, you'll be able to make better informed decisions about ingredients, etc.

Congrats! The first is always a challenge, but when the outcome is good you're hooked. Welcome to the obsession.
My wife is not happy with my new obsession. I went from being obsessed with her breasts to being obsessed with brewing beer.
I said the term "mouth feel", she told me that's the last time I give you a mouth feel". So I feel like I'm kinda losing on this. But you know what, it worth it.
What am I saying, I'm not so sure I can keep this up.

Congrats on your first brew! Always a little trial and error involved but you'll get the hang of it as you rebrew recipes/styles. What are you brewing tomorrow?
I'm brewing a partial mash. Wheat beer with Bavarian wheat DME
German crushed wheat for the mash
Munich for the yeast
And saaz for the hops.
I'm confident that I'll get something closer to what my grandfather is explaining to me (german wheat beer). He drinks Fransizkaner and LOVES it. I'm trying so hard... he doesn't like this one (for good reason) I'll get closer soon

one tip brew for yourself not anyone else, you will fail more than you think, I've learned that lesson

one tip brew for yourself not anyone else, you will fail more than you think, I've learned that lesson
Well, I'm prepared for that. I understand that this is a hobby, not a profession. I am a professional driver, heavy equipment operator, I pick up a lot of stuff... and you know what?... after years of doing it, well... no I don't mess up any more... bit I did a few time when starting out.
To be a pro, it takes time and practice. I'm on my way, and I'm determined. I will have bad batches, for unforeseen reasons, but I will have a high percentage for the same reason my children had high SAT scores. D...N...A...

I'm brewing a partial mash. Wheat beer with Bavarian wheat DME
German crushed wheat for the mash
Munich for the yeast
And saaz for the hops.
I'm confident that I'll get something closer to what my grandfather is explaining to me (german wheat beer). He drinks Fransizkaner and LOVES it. I'm trying so hard... he doesn't like this one (for good reason) I'll get closer soon

Sounds like a good brew. Is the crushed wheat malted? If not you'll still get some flavor but it won't contribute any fermentable sugars to your wort unless you add some base grain to your partial mash. Unless you're using a lot this shouldn't be too big of a factor, but just something to think about.

Good luck!

Sounds like a good brew. Is the crushed wheat malted? If not you'll still get some flavor but it won't contribute any fermentable sugars to your wort unless you add some base grain to your partial mash. Unless you're using a lot this shouldn't be too big of a factor, but just something to think about.

Good luck!
Yes it is malted. Just trying to get a little more body out of it.

So I feel like I'm kinda losing on this. But you know what, it worth it.

Point out to her AFTER you paid off your hardware costs that for the cost of a case of decent commercial brew you are making 2 cases of home brew!

Please give us an update, your opinions, and opinions of those who taste it, and a detailed explanation of how your brewday went, so we can all analyze and possibly suggest changes to help improve the final product.

Point out to her AFTER you paid off your hardware costs that for the cost of a case of decent commercial brew you are making 2 cases of home brew!
Don't even try! :D :D :D
If you start doing the math, you never come out. The only way you get even close to parity is by working at least a full day for nothing. We start chasing scales of economy and that's when we end up buying bigger and bigger brew pots and fermenters. :D

I am coming close but that's because I have friends paying for my materials cause I make them beer too. But I always add another piece of equipment and put myself behind again.

Congrats and commiserations, for the beer and the boobies. Once the first one is done you calm down a lot, the second one will be less stressful.

and that's when we end up buying bigger and bigger brew pots and fermenters.

LOL..ROF....J A that's EXACTLY the path I'm on!

I did the math and short of my labor hours, my last grain bill and yeast for a Porter was $27 and change. A case of Yuengling Porter here along the Pennsylvania southern tier runs about the same. Kick in my DIY engineering, my reuse of house hold items, Craig's List, the wife's kitchen utensils, my cheap bastard ethos and I'm doing OK. Yeah I can put up with my boil overs but I'd rather not and that's why I have a bad case of Kettle Envy!

Back