Keg or Secondary

CudjoeFlats

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have an all grain IPA in primary fermenter now Day 6. Fermentation slowed yesterday. I dry hopped this morning. Planning on dry hopping for 3 days. At that point would you A. Transfer to secondary fermenter for 10 days then Keg OR B. Transfer to Keg for 10 days then chill?

A. Transfer to secondary fermenter for 10 days then Keg
Very seldom and only for dryhopping when I want to empty primary vessel for another pitch on the same yeast.
OR B. Transfer to Keg for 10 days then chill?
Never...Absolutely no reason to keg unless you're ready to chill or have already done so.
Most often I'll just hold in primary for the duration and then cold crash in same. Then keg. Again, dry-hopping and yeast-cropping or repitching are the variables that may make me want to go to secondary.

Ok. I’m gonna crash overnight after 3 days of dry hopping, then keg/carbonate. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: J A
Pretty much my method as well for ipa's. More times than not though, I do my hopping in the keg where they remain till it kicks.
I'm doing an English ESB next and haven't dry hopped in the keg yet. The recipe says dry hop with 11g Goldings for 3-4 days. Would you use less in the keg seeing as they'll be in there until keg kicks ?

I wouldn't be dry hopping an esb, if I do keg hop I use a cable tie on dip tube to keep beer off base of keg and away from pickup .
11g shouldn't pose a problem though

if you use a tee ball or a hop cylinder you can keep it for the life of the beer but otherwise pull it out after about 3 or 4 days or you'll get the vine taste

Back