Eyelash type hair in beer..... Is it ruined???

Paddingtonblair

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi

I hope some can help or shed some light on this as I haven't been able to find much when searching on the internet.

I have been brewing for just over a year from kits mostly but have started the BIAG method. I have just produced my first beer with this method but im not sure if its infected. Everything went fine in the fermenter but since bottling it looks like small eyelash type hair has grown in my beer (pictures a
ttached). It was only 3 days ago when I bottled it.

any help is much appreciated

Thank you
Beer1.jpg
Beer2.jpg

Are those perhaps fibers from your bag? Did you wash it (or at least rinse it out) before using?

Oh weird. How fine was the crush? Maybe it's shreds of grain husk? You're completely certain it wasn't there when you bottled?

Honestly, if you're worried they're ruined crack one open and give it a taste and feel. Worst case you opened a bottle for no reason and it will be a little flat.

Yeah I find my dog hairs get everywhere especially when wind is blowing I come back to heating strike water and there is damned dog hair floating on top of the water:eek::mad: . But I recon Noseybear is onto something stray fibers from Biab bag. If not they look like arm hairs or leg hairs you musta really gave that bag a squeeze lol:D!

Yeah mans best friend but I still can get my dog to drink my beer :p the chooks love it though:)!

Hahaha. I once had a dog named gizmo. I think he was abandoned by some frat boys when they left for the year. He loved beer. Half long haired doxie and half shelty. Cutest little dog...

Thanks for the advise guys.

I don't think it's from the brew bag and I don't have any pets. It defiantly only started after bottling.

I have looking more on the internet but without knowing more about what it is it's hard to het meaningful results but suggestions are that it's some protein strands or a mini krausen caused by the priming sugar. However it's been suggested that it's fine.

I'm going to keep on looking and see if I can get to the bottom of it. In the mean time I am going to wait a couple of weeks then check a bottle for carbonation, taste and aroma and if it's ok let it condition for a few more weeks.

In all cases I will report back and let you know what I find out and how I get on

suggestions are that it's some protein strands
Various salts, acids, proteins and ethanol can interact in a way to precipitate strands exactly like this, though I'm not familiar with any instances of it happening in beer. I suggest that you used a sanitizer that left a film in the bottle and some sort of chemical magic happened to create these fairy wisps. :)
You'd have noticed hair in your fermenter if that's what this was. Before you open any, try shaking one up and see if they dissolve.

Just out of curiosity, is it in all bottles?

Back