mandarina bavira hops

Jimsal

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just picked up 2 oz and thinking of brewing a pale ale starring these hops. anyone ever used them before. any suggestions?

I'm using them this weekend in an IPA with other hops like cascade.

They have a really nice citrusy tangerine note to them that works well with other hops, and I've done them as well in a wheat beer as the late hop and that was really nice also.

I just picked up 2 oz and thinking of brewing a pale ale starring these hops. anyone ever used them before. any suggestions?
I've used them: Don't expect a "tangerine" flavor, rather a flavor suggestive of tangerines. I do like them, though.

Got a deal on 1/2 pound... Dry hoped an an American Honey Wheat which was crazy good also used as a 10 min aroma hop in a Belgian Wit another tasty beer... it does have a citrus note but not a specific one

I used it along with Azacca (boil and dry hopped) for an interesting Saison I did a few months back. I got some tangerine/citrus flavor along with some melon. I'd definitely use it again.

I find it to be a very delicate hop. Goess well with pale wheat beers, but will certainly be overwhelmed in an IPA or heavy malts. Use plenty to get a hint tangerine/orange.

I have been using MB in most of my brews (pale ales) for more than two years now.
I can imagine it would be a great hop for wheat beers, but also works well for pale ales, though imo only in combination with other hops. I brewed a bunch of basically SMASH pale ales with it and was never quite satisfied. After trying some combos, I have landed on 50/50 with Comet as quite good and after doing a Comet / Cascade combo am actually currently fermenting my first combo with MB, Comet and Cascade, as Yooper mentioned. Think it will be good... :D

Last edited:
I have been using MB in most of my brews (pale ales) for more than two years now.
I can imagine it would be a great hop for wheat beers, but also works well for pale ales, though imo only in combination with other hops. I brewed a bunch of basically SMASH pale ales with it and was never quite satisfied. After trying some combos, I have landed on 50/50 with Comet as quite good and after doing a Comet / Cascade combo am actually currently fermenting my first combo with MB, Comet and Cascade, as Yooper mentioned. Think it will be good... :D
Agreed. By itself, it comes across a bit harsh to me.

I used them in a recent IPA and really like the flavor they added. I've haven't seen any recipes using them for a dark beer, so I'm attempting a chocolate orange porter this weekend using mostly MA hops.

Love Mandarina. I brew a traditional German Pils and dryhop it with MB. I definitely get sweet orange citrus along with characteristics you would expect from a noble hop. Definitely more mild than I originally expected.

2 oz ain't gonna do a lot. I mean, you will definitely not taste or smell 2 oz of hops, especially Mandarina Bavaria, which are by no means potent or flavourful. I've gotten maybe a hint of citrus, with grassy notes and a pleasent generic bitterness/hoppiness in all the brews I used them.

From what I've heard, you need to use more, so my next brew will be a Vienna Lager with equal parts of Mandarina, Blanc and Huell Melon. ( around 5-6 oz each ).

2 oz ain't gonna do a lot. I mean, you will definitely not taste or smell 2 oz of hops, especially Mandarina Bavaria, which are by no means potent or flavourful. I've gotten maybe a hint of citrus, with grassy notes and a pleasent generic bitterness/hoppiness in all the brews I used them.

From what I've heard, you need to use more, so my next brew will be a Vienna Lager with equal parts of Mandarina, Blanc and Huell Melon. ( around 5-6 oz each ).
totally agree with you. beer came out great but noy very potent. was a nice pale ale thiugh

Back