Yeast Calculations

PBRme

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am using BeerSmith to help determine the amount a dry packages (Mangrove Jack M41) to add to my 10 gallon brew. The OG is 1.089 and needs to finish at 1.004. According to BeerSmith, the dry yeast recommendation is 3.1 (11.5g) packets. However, above that section is the yeast cells needed. According to BeerSmith, I need 574 billion cells. In order for me to reach that with dry packets, I will need 13, which puts me at 585 billion. So, the question is, do I go with the recommended 3.1 packets or dump 13? Thanks for the help!

I'm far from an expert, but according to brewers friends calculator you would need 606 billion cells. One 11 gram package will have 110 billion cells.... So I reckon you would need 6 packages. Did I make things more confusing? :p:D

The viability of dry yeast packets is generally understated by the manufacturer. The accepted number is closer to 20 billion per gram so 220 billion per pack. Some yeasts will skew less. I tend to count on maybe 15 billion per gram in lager yeasts and maybe a little less if I'm overcompensating for a very low-temp fermentation, but the 20 billion for ale yeasts has yielded expected results.
Belgian yeasts tend to be underpitched somewhat, so I would think 3 would be more than enough for your batch.

I'm far from an expert, but according to brewers friends calculator you would need 606 billion cells. One 11 gram package will have 110 billion cells.... So I reckon you would need 6 packages. Did I make things more confusing? :p:D
LOL... I couldn't be more confused more in my life! j/k Thanks for the feedback

Here's my experience so far with yeasts...
-Imperial: pouches have 200B and that is reliable, even for older pouches. i've used 200B when recommendations were up to 300B without off flavors or lagging fermentation.
-Dry: i agree with JA. results are closer to 200B per packet than stated. have stressed yeasts on brews where 300B were recommended and have had mixed results dependent on OG. i wouldn't push 1 packet past a recommendation of 250B.
-WLP: i have had issues with viability and off flavors with WLP and have started over pitching by a half to full pouch, depending on the OG. for example, if recommendation is 250B, I'll pitch 3 pouches as 2 will likely cause issues (in my experience). truthfully, this is why i've started to use Imperial almost exclusively (unless i need a very customized strain)...it provides me with the greatest yeast coverage with one pouch and is cheaper per equivalent 100B cells than WLP.

just some of my observed empirical and anecdotal experiences.

Back