Pre Boil Volume Too High- Equipment Settings (Grain Absorption)

MrEggSandwich

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello Hello.

Love the Brewers Friend. Great tool.

My pre-boil volume is consistently high by 1+ gallons, assuming I need to adjust grain absorption setting. Currently its .5 qt/lb. Standard batch size is 7 gallons.

What should I adjust it to? Someone do the math for me. Please.

Thanks!

A little more info on your process would be helpful. Are you doing BIAB, batch sparge or fly sparge? Without knowing anything more about your process I would think cutting your sparge volume by 1 gallon would be your best bet.

Reactions: J A
I count my grain absorption at .3 qts/lb and it treats me right. I'd say your setting is high there but it probably won't account for a gallon.
You have the option of stopping when you get to your desired pre-boil volume if you're doing a fly or batch sparge, though it may negatively effect efficiency. I you're consistenly over, try sparging with a gallon less, as suggested^^^, and leave it at that. If you feel like you're still getting good gravity at the end of your sparge now, cut a gallon out of your total mash water. Or, for that matter, you don't mention what your pre-boil volume actually is, but maybe you just need to boil a helluva lot harder. :)
Without a lot more info, it's hard to narrow things down much.
I start with around 16 gallons total liquor and end up with around 6 gallons for sparge to get 13.5-14 gallon pre-boil on 11 gallon batches if that gives you a helpful data point.

This is how I calculate my water. These numbers are based on the following:
- I want to have 26qt in my kettle at the start of boil
- I mash at a rate of 1.5qt per pound of grain
- My mash tun has a 2qt dead space
- .5qt per pound grain absorption works for me.
So if I am brewing a beer with an 11 pound grain bill I will need:
- 16.5qt strike water (11 pounds grain x 1.5qt/pound)
- Grain absorption will reduce this volume to 11qt ( 16.5qt - (.5qt/pounds x 11 pounds) )
- Dead space will rob me of two more quarts, leaving me with 9 ( 11-2)
- With 9 quarts left after losses to grain and dead space, I am now 17qt shy of my 26 qt target
- I now know that to hit my target volume I need 17qt of sparge water, and I have found I can use it with either batch or fly spargeing.

Is this the best way to calculate your water? Probably not. But it works very well for me, I am always within a quart of my target volume.

I have a 3 pot herms and it's a little different so this is what I do I mark the spot where I need to end my boil and that's it, nothing else matters except that mark, boil times don't matter, when it hits that mark it's done

"disclaimer" although I have my profile set up perfect and I know my system like the back of my hand

boil times don't matter,
But surely you're using boil time to figure hop additions so I imagine your boil time doesn't vary from what you intended for a particular recipe.

most of my hop additions are in the whirlpool that you taste the bittering is set

I'd be happy to help with your math but need your numbers. From your profile it looks like you use the BrewEasy system which I believe is similar to BIAB, with your last brew day here's what we'd need to know:
Volume of water brought to strike temp (vStrike)
Weight of grain (Wt)
Volume of water post mash (vPost)

To get your grain absorption you would take
(vStrike-vPost)/Wt

Example: 9 gal strike water mashed with 10lb grain ending up with 8 gal post mash
(10-9)/10 = 0.1gal/lb grain or 0.4 qts/lb

Back