IBUs not matching. Web verses Android... sync'ed recipe

Mutiny Bay

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just made a recipe using fresh hops. Did the calculations with the on line tool, and it calculated an IBU of 76. Then sync'ed the recipe to my Android based phone and your app... where the same recipe now shows an IBU of 363. Same recipe... fully in sync.

Something ain't right.

Using version 1.13 on Android.

We have updated the web version to keep current, and bring forward updates. The Android version is unfortunately not something that has worked well for a while, and we've not been able to support it or improve it. If the IBUs aren't matching, my guess is that the fresh hops have a very large amount, and the Android version is "counting" it as pellets. If you post some screenshots, I could take a look, but I'm not sure I can help beyond suggestion checking that.

fresh_hops_wrong_on_android.JPG
IBU_calculator_wrong.JPG
ibu_calculation_on_line.JPG
on_line_hop_calculator.JPG

As you can see, the on line calculator deals with fresh hops just fine... but when sync'ed and send to the android app, the calculator doesn't deal with fresh hops well... changing the IBUs from 82 to 363. (whew... that's some IPA!)

Yes, the Android app is WAY behind on the updates that we've brought to the desktop version. I'm sorry about that.

Yes, the Android app is WAY behind on the updates that we've brought to the desktop version. I'm sorry about that.

Are there any plans to catch up the Android app? I mean part of the reason I joined was due to the ability to sync to my phone and carry my recipe with me when I go to the brew shop... and modify the recipe if need be, on the fly.

I will say this, the on line app is quite good, and I noticed changes just the other day in the hop addition area regarding different types of additions. Good job.

I also noticed that your mash and boil calcs seem to yield very reliable OG readings (at least for my brews). Of course I have no way to measure IBUs... so I cannot verify that.

Are there any plans to catch up the Android app? I mean part of the reason I joined was due to the ability to sync to my phone and carry my recipe with me when I go to the brew shop... and modify the recipe if need be, on the fly.

I will say this, the on line app is quite good, and I noticed changes just the other day in the hop addition area regarding different types of additions. Good job.

I also noticed that your mash and boil calcs seem to yield very reliable OG readings (at least for my brews). Of course I have no way to measure IBUs... so I cannot verify that.

We will work on the apps in the future, but at this point in time we are concentrating on the web version since that has by far the most members and we are bringing out new updates that have been requested. The apps will still sync, and work well (except for things like this with the fresh hops and IBU calcs) so it's not been a high need for users at this point.

OK, thanks... yes, they do sync. And the on line calculator is great. (have noticed recent upgrades).

Looking forward to updated portable Android apps in the future.

Back