Grain Substitutes

Brewer #189040

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie on this forum so forgive me if this has been asked before. I would like to brew the Vanilla Cream Ale recipe from this site however as i am based in the UK i am having trouble getting my hands on some of the ingredients: American 6 row, American White Wheat and Flaked Corn. Does anybody have recommendations on substitutes for this grains? Thanks!

I am a newbie on this forum so forgive me if this has been asked before. I would like to brew the Vanilla Cream Ale recipe from this site however as i am based in the UK i am having trouble getting my hands on some of the ingredients: American 6 row, American White Wheat and Flaked Corn. Does anybody have recommendations on substitutes for this grains? Thanks!
Replace the 6 row with 2 row or Ale malt.
Replace wheat with you local malted wheat. As for the flaked corn cant help you.
Others here are sure to help and @uk_brewer i know is obviously your man for the job.:).

Oh and welcome!

You sometimes see it as flaked maize. Or corn flakes without the preservatives, so maybe the hippie food stores?

As Trialben said , use 2 row in place of the 6 row and malted wheat for the white. As for the flaked corn, you can substitute corn meal or polenta, but you will have to look up how to do a cereal mash to use it. Not hard to do, it is just an extra step.

You could also skip the corn altogether and use minute rice instead if you wanted. Minute rice is already converted so you can mash it along with your grains. Rice hulls may also be very helpful if stuck sparges are an issue if you.

You could also find some maize grits. You'd have to cook them in what's called a cereal mash, I won't give directions here because they are easy to find on the Web.

Yes, rice is a good substitute adjunct in general, but corn will lend a particularly flavorful sweetness. Polenta or Corn meal are acceptable sources but have to be cooked. Surely you'll be able to find flaked corn or flaked maize in the UK.
You can use Corn Syrup if no other source is avaialable but that won't give you the grainy corn flavor. Truth is that if you skipped the corn altogether and threw in just a touch of Honey Malt, you'd have a fine beer. Given that it's a flavored beer, any subtleties in the malt profile will be less important.

Back