Yeast 1/2 batch

Hawkeye Brewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am brewing a 1/2 batch of ESB and the Original OG target is 1.051 and final OG target is 1.014. I am using a Burton Ale yeast packet and need to know if I should only use 1/2 the packet?

I would add the entire pack. If it is a dry yeast you are going to be over pitching a bit, but not enough to cause any problems, and if it is a liquid yeast then that would likely be the appropriate pitch rate. You should check out the yeast pitch calculator on this site, it can probably gove you a more accurate answer than I can

When I used to do half batches, I'd pitch half a packet and save the rest for another batch. Either way works, but yeast is a not insignificant part of the cost of a small batch and using it at the proper rate can save a few bucks.

I am brewing a 1/2 batch of ESB and the Original OG target is 1.051 and final OG target is 1.014. I am using a Burton Ale yeast packet and need to know if I should only use 1/2 the packet?
Just throw it all in. It's hard to preserve for another batch and you'll not get an overpitch. I often do three gallon batches and pitch a full packet of yeast.

Back