Cider Support

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm not one to typically do ciders. In fact, I am just getting ready to do my first one. I did notice however that there is very little in the recipe editor in support of ciders. I don't even see apple juice. Just apples. I doubt I'd use it often, but I would use it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I can make it work but just seems a bit cumbersome.

I was just thinking about this as I threw together my first cider a few days ago. Ended up just building it out as a custom fermentable but I agree it was definitely a little cumbersome

Yes, that's something on our list to add. Wine, mead, ciders are often made by brewers so we'd like to include those ASAP. After we do this current release we're working on, we'll be adding those as we can.

Fruit juices vary so much in sugar, acidity, and color, that every batch should be measured. It's useless to have a generic entry as a fermentable. Plus, there's no mash or boil steps. What do you want to use the recipe editor for? There's an ABV calculator here.

"Brew Method" All Grain, BIAB, Extract, Partial Mash, Cider

Boom

Fruit juices vary so much in sugar, acidity, and color, that every batch should be measured. It's useless to have a generic entry as a fermentable. Plus, there's no mash or boil steps. What do you want to use the recipe editor for? There's an ABV calculator here.

Fruit juices vary so much in sugar, acidity, and color, that every batch should be measured.
Hmm. sounds just like brewing beer with grains.

It's useless to have a generic entry as a fermentable.
Seems to be a lot of generics listed now.

Plus, there's no mash or boil steps.
I guess I disagree. I may not have done a straight up cider before, but I have done a graf. I mashed, boiled, and used hops.
I've seen many ciders out there with hop additions, malt, etc.

What do you want to use the recipe editor for?
I can think of many reasons. One of the main ones is for a recipe organizer, tracker, and simply having something I can look at and have a brew log for.

There's an ABV calculator here.
Yep. Sure is. But what's wrong with some wanting an editor? I want more than a calculator. I don't feel my request is out of line at all, and optional to use of course.

Cheers!

Last edited:
That sounds like a beer with a custom fermentable for an adjunct. The BF editor does that now.

Fruit juice does not work as easily in a recipe as malt. Briess Pale is Briess Pale every time you use it. You can even substitute somebody else's Pale. You can't substitute juices in the same way. Braeburn apple juice can be anywhere from 1.030-1.060 season to season even from the same tree. Having a default pulldown entry in the middle at 1.045 would be misleading and produce off results, much like the generic honey entry does now.

That's the issue I have with a cider, wine, or mead editor; a recipe would look easier to reproduce than it really is and a lot of users would miss targets. There would be a very busy and frustrated beginner's forum.

To each their own. I ain't here to split hairs. Use is optional.
Cheers!

Any news on adding support for cider? Even if I have to enter in a custom SG for the apple juice, it would still be easier than measuring the juice’s SG, then fiddling with the PPG to get the correct SG in the recipe. And at least add a no-boil option, with some sort of pre-fermentation interval (for Campden tablets, Pectic enzyme, etc.).

Back