Help with 1 gallon extract recipe!

TonyB

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I’m about to start my first extract 1 gallon ipa using the recipe on this site. I’m just a bit confused that the first hop addition is at 30mins.

I’m wondering if any seasoned brewers here could shed some light on wether this is correct?

Thanks for any help

T

I think you'll "typically" see a 60 minute addition, but that can really change depending on how you want the bitterness / aroma / flavor to come through. Since we can't see the recipe, there's we can't tell what else is going on. If you could do that, we would be more help

Welcome to BF!
You will get good advice from the experienced folks here, good luck with your batch!

thanks Jmac

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.25 oz citra Pellet 13 Boil 30 min 51.01
0.5 oz citra Pellet 13 Boil 0 min
0.5 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Boil 0 min
0.25 oz citra Pellet 13 Dry Hop 4 days
0.25 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 4 days

here is the hop additions

Thanks again

T

thanks CT

That seems reasonable. You're going to get a lot of flavor and aroma from those hops, and not a whole lot of bitterness.
Let it roll, have fun with it, and let us know how it turns out

Brilliant! Thanks so much.

Hopefully ill have good news to report.

T

You can also abbreviate your total boil time to 30min as well, no need to go to the full 60 if you don't have early hop additions :)

Excellent, even better!

Thanks white haus!

A lot of newer ipa recipes call for 30 minute or less hop additions and no 60 minute hops. You need more hops to get the beer bitter but you also get more hop flavor and aroma.

Most extract recipes can be boiled for just a short time whereas all-grain wort requires an hour or more in most cases. Since you don't have to boil to concentrate sugars there's not much need for a 60 minute hop addition. For a recipe like this you'd be using a miniscule amount at 60 minutes, anyway.

Most extract recipes can be boiled for just a short time whereas all-grain wort requires an hour or more in most cases. Since you don't have to boil to concentrate sugars there's not much need for a 60 minute hop addition. For a recipe like this you'd be using a miniscule amount at 60 minutes, anyway.

Or you can just start with a little more grain so you don't have to boil down. My last brew was a 30min mash and 30min boil. Turned out great :)

Back