Would this turn out ok?

Jamesj2851

Trial Member
Reaction score
I want to get into all grain so im starting off with a 1 gallon batch. I was messing around on beer smith and came up with this and wanted to know if i would taste ok or if it is complete crap.

Attachments

• Test All Grain.PNG
    Test All Grain.PNG
    55.3 KB · Views: 130
In a word...no.
Rather than guess at ingredients, start with a known recipe and go from there. There's a search function for the recipe database here that will allow you to search by style. Find some Amber Ale recipes that have been brewed a lot and have a high rating. It's a good place to start because it'll give you a good idea of percentages of specialty malts and hopping schedules.
And here's an article that gives an overview of the style with useful information:
https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-american-amber-ale/

I want to get into all grain so im starting off with a 1 gallon batch. I was messing around on beer smith and came up with this and wanted to know if i would taste ok or if it is complete crap.
I agree with the advice JA gave you, it's much better to start with a known recipe.

Agree with the above. The biggest problem I see with it is the huge amount of chocolate malt (unless you've always wondered what an ashtray tastes like). I wouldn't use that much even for a 5 gal batch (probably not even in 10gal). That's also a lot of crystal.

If you use the recipe builder here, on the drop-down where it says more, that will give you specific style parameters. That should help you when you're developing a recipe.
As stated above, starting with a known benchmark and then tweaking to what your vision is, but staying within the parameters, should make a worthwhile brew.
Good Luck and keep asking questions!
Cheers,
Brian

Research is your friend....find clone versions of the beers you already like and understand what it is about those beers that make them enjoyable. That will help you understand what ingredients taste like and how they interact.

Also, start simple, taste everything, and as others have said look for proven recipes that fit the style you want to brew. I have been doing this for over 10 years and when I brew something new, I still start with a base that has been proven and then work to make it my own

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/692446/test-all-grain

this might be a better starting point....but keep asking for feedback

Last edited:
Based on the chocolate malt amount you may want to take a look at what different grains do as well, chocolate malt is a very deceptive name.

Back