A beta test for all of our helpers!

This was such a weird error that I promise you I spent almost an hour trying different combinations, hops, and refreshing each time to narrow in on the problem because it seemed so ridiculous that word would break the inventory record :p

upload_2018-8-15_8-42-12.png

I got this weird number after updating my malts. I used the target OG and then updated %. After getting them close, I went back and edited the amounts to get them to round numbers. The number is on the line with total.

upload_2018-8-15_8-44-1.png

I am getting strange IBU calculations. if I put a hop in as a first wort and adjust the UTIL to 1.1, it shows a small IBU contribution, but if I change it to Whirlpool, I get a huge IBU contribution.
upload_2018-8-15_8-46-9.png

Just a question on the water calc page, what are the arrows by the salts? pH adjustment?

After doing my water calculations, when I update the recipe, my acid addition is not getting transferred over.
upload_2018-8-15_8-47-1.png

upload_2018-8-15_8-47-11.png

In the water calculations, it would be helpful if another SAVE button was at the bottom in the report section.

upload_2018-8-15_8-48-1.png

That is what I got so far.

Thanks.

I noticed the IBU thing earlier when I picked the wrong addition, I went from 18 IBU in a whirlpool to 10 IBU in a FWH addition. Seemed rather odd.

Hey i just did up new recipie in your beta site love the water calc incorporation into recipe but i found it links in salts and not acid as per screenshot below. See the acid is 0.00 it was like 2.6ml in water calc.
Screenshot_20180816-201004_Samsung Internet.jpg

Also just me being a pain in the Bum but i recon itd be great if you could make a recipie by just loading In ingredients from inventory. See beliw is a snapshot of my inventory ive clicked on fermentables then on german pilsner in inventory and its loaded in total amount into weight section in recipe editor. It would be great if it linked malt type as well eg German Pils. Then its just a matter of going through inventory clicking on brew items you have in stock and changing amounts recipe...:) you picking up what im putting down:rolleyes:?

1534414799015.jpg

View attachment 3719

I got this weird number after updating my malts. I used the target OG and then updated %. After getting them close, I went back and edited the amounts to get them to round numbers. The number is on the line with total.

View attachment 3720
I am getting strange IBU calculations. if I put a hop in as a first wort and adjust the UTIL to 1.1, it shows a small IBU contribution, but if I change it to Whirlpool, I get a huge IBU contribution.
View attachment 3721
Just a question on the water calc page, what are the arrows by the salts? pH adjustment?

After doing my water calculations, when I update the recipe, my acid addition is not getting transferred over.
View attachment 3722

View attachment 3723

In the water calculations, it would be helpful if another SAVE button was at the bottom in the report section.

View attachment 3724

That is what I got so far.

Thanks.

Thanks BigFatDanS,

I pushed a fix for the mash percentage when using Goals, please try this out.

As for the hop utilization, that seems a bit high, this article I found gives suggests around 5%
https://www.homebrewersassociation....-boilwhirlpool-hop-additions-bitterness-beer/

As for the water calc salts and acids issues, please try this on our beta site as there is now an update being tested for this, https://beta.brewersfriend.com

Thanks again for the feedback!

So the acid addition will now be linqued into recipe from water calculator?

Thanks BigFatDanS,

I pushed a fix for the mash percentage when using Goals, please try this out.

As for the hop utilization, that seems a bit high, this article I found gives suggests around 5%
https://www.homebrewersassociation....-boilwhirlpool-hop-additions-bitterness-beer/

As for the water calc salts and acids issues, please try this on our beta site as there is now an update being tested for this, https://beta.brewersfriend.com

Thanks again for the feedback!

I think I understand the issue on the whirlpool, on the whirlpool it seems that the utilization is used directly to calculate the IBU, where for first wort, the utilization is just a scaling factor for the calculated utilization from the boil additions. So I think it would be clearer if the text box for the utilization changed from "Scale Util" to "Util" as it isn't actually a scaling factor but is the direct utilization factor in the
calculation.
hops2.png

hops.png

yea click the add to copy it to the input then adjust if you want and save it.
Now I cannot pull salt and acid additions in at all with a linked water profile. I am attempting to update it to a snapshot of the original recipe if that matters.

you need to click on the acid in red to pull it into the form then save

I think I understand the issue on the whirlpool, on the whirlpool it seems that the utilization is used directly to calculate the IBU, where for first wort, the utilization is just a scaling factor for the calculated utilization from the boil additions. So I think it would be clearer if the text box for the utilization changed from "Scale Util" to "Util" as it isn't actually a scaling factor but is the direct utilization factor in the
calculation.
View attachment 3741

View attachment 3740

Yes you are correct, we should remove the word scale with those.

Whirlpool, Hopback and Dry Hop do not use the Tinseth or Rager calculation since those change the utilization with time

Not sure how my mash pH is being calculated, but I created a new recipe, added my grains, choose my water profile (water pH of 7), and saved it (no additional salt or acid added yet), I'm getting a suggested pH of 4.12. If I remove all the grains I get a pH of 2.26. Since my water pH is 7 to start with I'm not sure where it's getting that number.

upload_2018-8-18_1-51-27.png

Created another test recipe overnight and here's what I found:

Mash pH - (see above screenshot)
To continue from my last post my mash pH did update correctly once I linked a mash water calc to it, just was way off beforehand which would make on the fly recipe creation unreliable without going through the full calculator.

Mash additions:
After going through the full mash water calculator my recipe now updates with the correct pH, however, the salt and acid additions are not crossing over into my recipe which in turn aren't crossing into my brew session so unless I go into the mash calc separately I don't know what additions to make.

Grains removed from mash:
There are times where I will steep my dark grains and add the liquid it to the boil instead of mashing them but I don't see any way to specify that they shouldn't be used in the mash pH calculation in recipe view. I tried clicking "Late addition" on the grain but that didn't change the pH estimate.

Dilution with DI/RO water:
It would be great to be able to specify your water source and then the percentage you will dilute with DI/RO water. I more or less of my tap water depending on what I'm brewing. The only way I can see around this now is to create a different water profile for each blend I use.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet - if so I'm sorry for duplication.

Starting a New Recipe I started to add in Fermentables by selecting the Inventory button to display the list.

Then, starting from the bottom of my list and working upwards (don't ask why I did it this way - random act)

I clicked on each name in turn - numbered 1 to 8 in fig 1.

The first entry displayed the associated volume correctly but the Name box was blank.
The second to fifth entries were correct with Volume and Name values.
The Sixth entry was correct with Volume but Name was blank.
The Seventh entry was correct for both Volume and Name.

I have no idea what the % values are calculating but I would have thought they should TOTAL 100%?

They were changing as the entries were selected but what they represent as they go on - who knows? Certainly >100% should not be against the first entry! [FIG 2]

I also found that, for some reason, I was unable to get Inventory entries (1) Marris Otter and (6) Chocolate (as numbered in Fig 1) to display the NAME value regardless the sequence of selection - they seemed stubbornly reluctant to display the Name.

By the way, the Inventory values were updated from the Master Fermentables List and not entered manually so anything in the Name value must be being brought in at that stage.

Additionally, starting to DELETE the entries from the top down produced an unexpected result. I would have expected that deleting the top entry should have moved all lower values up one position adjusting the percentages as it went. Instead the top entry was just zeroed. [FIG 3]

Subsequent entries work as expected. Deleting the second entry position moves all lower entries up as the screen is refreshed.

I hope this is helpful. Alan

upload_2018-9-6_17-22-7.png

FIG 1

upload_2018-9-6_17-22-50.png

FIG 2 - Adding Inventory Fermentables In Turn

upload_2018-9-6_17-24-19.png

FIG 3 - Deleting Top Entry

Back