stuck mash.....help

Jimsal

Trial Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to an igloo 10 gallon cooler with a false bottom as my mash tun. I used to use a 5 gallon cooler with a bazooka tube. I've used my new cooler about 6 times with stuck mashes three or four times after having about three stuck mashes in 3 years of brewing all with my smaller cooler. Anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

A few things to consider.
I had a tear in the tube connecting the false bottom to the spigot. fixed that for my last brew...didn't help.
I haven't been using adjuncts
I have been adding all my sparge water at one time after mash out. then attempting to lauter (this is the next thing I will change. I used to batch sparge)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you changed your grain milling? That's the likeliest cause unless you're using a lot of adjuncts or rye - think sticky gums or trying to lauter a bowl of oatmeal. Try adding some rice hulls and see if that helps.

I get it milled at the homebrew store. not sure if they changed their mill.

Reactions: J A
I get it milled at the homebrew store. not sure if they changed their mill.
That definitely happens...Only way to control your process is to control the mill. Crush will dictate efficiency and whether you get stuck.
Your problem obviously is with your new set up, though. A couple of things to try are adding rice hulls and changing your sparge technique, as you mentioned.
Also, consider getting a BIAB bag that will fit in your cooler. I use one as a liner for my tun and it makes life much easier. If I get stuck, I can lift the grain out and clear it and put it back in. Usually just lifting the bag to release pressure will get it flowing again.

I mill my grains at the homebrew shop exclusively - don't have a grain mill and as long as I'm getting grain from the same shop, don't anticipate needing one. There's an inverse relationship between crush (fineness of the material) and efficiency - is your conversion efficiency high? That might indicate a crush problem.

it can be in the grain it's self too I never change my mill gap and some grain bills just stick others don't

Roger that. If you can't find out why and correct the problem, add some rice hulls to the mash. They should help.

That definitely happens...Only way to control your process is to control the mill. Crush will dictate efficiency and whether you get stuck.
Your problem obviously is with your new set up, though. A couple of things to try are adding rice hulls and changing your sparge technique, as you mentioned.
Also, consider getting a BIAB bag that will fit in your cooler. I use one as a liner for my tun and it makes life much easier. If I get stuck, I can lift the grain out and clear it and put it back in. Usually just lifting the bag to release pressure will get it flowing again.
Awesome Idea

I have a similar mash tun setup and until I put a gasket around the edge of my FB I was getting grains underneath which would make their way into the ball valve and clog it up. I don't know if this is the cause of your problem , but it might be something to look into.

^^^ happens to mine as well if the flow rate is too low. You are cracking the ball valve to get slow runoff and stuff can get stuck in there. Next "stick", try opening the ball valve all the way and see if it works.

I have a similar mash tun setup and until I put a gasket around the edge of my FB I was getting grains underneath which would make their way into the ball valve and clog it up. I don't know if this is the cause of your problem , but it might be something to look into.
how did you do this?

Back