Managing gas to multiple kegs

Adrian Gresores

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just started kegging. I bought a used kegerator that has an external CO2 tank, one primary regulator, and a gas hose through the door that connects to a 4-way gas splitter. I have two questions about my setup that I could use some help with.

First, what happens if I have 2 different beers, brewed at different times, in separate kegs? For example, say I brew an IPA on day 1 and then a vienna lager on day 20. Since I plan to carbonate by setting a higher pressure, e.g. 30 psi, for a number of hours, before decreasing to serving pressure, what would I do when the vienna lager is ready to carbonate? The regulator would then be set at 8 - 10 psi to serve the IPA. Would I disconnect the IPA until the lager is ready to be decreased to serving pressure? Obviously, I would not be able to serve the IPA during that time.

Second, having the gas hose come through the kegerator door is pretty inconvenient, since it moves every time the door is opened and closed. I would prefer to bring it in through a side, or even the back. How would I know where it is safe to drill a hole into my kegerator? How do you actually do it? Also, how would I close the old hold in the door?

Thanks.

Going thru the side or back is risky business. Depending on the model, you may be able to find the internal layouts. I've seen a few floating around out there. Do you have the option of placing your O2 tank in the refer itself? Takes up a bit of room depending on the size of your tank. Mine isn't big enough to prevent me or allow me to add any more kegs, so I just keep it in the fridge.
If a dual regulator isn't in you plans right now, you can easily isolate the kegs that are already carb'd and set your pressure to carb your newer keg. The keg that is already carb'd will still poor just fine till your keg runs low on O2. At that point, you can open your shut off valve and just bump some more gas into the keg. I don't have a dual reg either. It's a minor inconvenience for me, but totally doable.

I just started kegging. I bought a used kegerator that has an external CO2 tank, one primary regulator, and a gas hose through the door that connects to a 4-way gas splitter. I have two questions about my setup that I could use some help with.

First, what happens if I have 2 different beers, brewed at different times, in separate kegs? For example, say I brew an IPA on day 1 and then a vienna lager on day 20. Since I plan to carbonate by setting a higher pressure, e.g. 30 psi, for a number of hours, before decreasing to serving pressure, what would I do when the vienna lager is ready to carbonate? The regulator would then be set at 8 - 10 psi to serve the IPA. Would I disconnect the IPA until the lager is ready to be decreased to serving pressure? Obviously, I would not be able to serve the IPA during that time.

Second, having the gas hose come through the kegerator door is pretty inconvenient, since it moves every time the door is opened and closed. I would prefer to bring it in through a side, or even the back. How would I know where it is safe to drill a hole into my kegerator? How do you actually do it? Also, how would I close the old hold in the door?

Thanks.
You can buy another regulator and join them together, the first regulator has the highest pressure and the second one the lower pressure. I'm considering doing this myself as it's annoying not being able to serve beers at different pressures.

I managed to carb and serve several kegs at a time for quite a while with a single bottle and regulator with a split hose and a couple of connectors. I just top up kegs as needed and make sure that they all have the pressure that they should. It's a pain and if I was going to be serving more than a pint or two, I'd keep the rig hooked to the 2 kegs that are on tap in my kegerator. Now I have an extra rig on a manifold in a converted/collared chest freezer where I can store/carb 5 kegs and serve 4 of them at a time.

I drilled a hole in the bottom of my fridge near the compressor to run my gas hose into the fridge. I carbonate and serve from the same reg. I set it high for carbonate, and disconnect the serving keg when carbonating. I add CO2 to the serving keg as needed, but I can usually serve a pint or 2 without having to add CO2.

For the most part I use the KISM carbing method.
I leave the reg at serving pressure and wait the week , all other kegs pour as normal and whatever the new beer is has time to drop properly clear .
For other mostly dark beers I prime the Keg and do it the natural way.
Oh and KISM is simply

Keep
It
Simple
Mate

I use the Slightly different version of KISS Keep It Simple Stupid the later part in reference to meself:p!

You can buy another regulator and join them together, the first regulator has the highest pressure and the second one the lower pressure. I'm considering doing this myself as it's annoying not being able to serve beers at different pressures.

Secondary regulators with shutoff valves allow multiple kegs to be fully independent of each other. I have two inside the kegerator so that only one feed line passes through the wall. Have had no issues with that setup in 2 years' use.

Back