First brew Help

Jamesj2851

Trial Member
Reaction score
I got the coopers diy kit and it came with the lager. I followed the instuctions and its now day 6 and the FG was 1.012 the OG was 1.036 so i tasted the beer like they said and i could kind of tast beer but it smells sour. Should i bottle it and wait or is my beer spoiled and need to be tossed out?

lagers usually take 2 weeks unless your fermenting warm, did it say to do a rest above 70 then cool it back down?

lagers usually take 2 weeks unless your fermenting warm, did it say to do a rest above 70 then cool it back down?
No it just says ferment 6-7 days at 66-72 temp i had it in a mini fridge with a temp controle at 68. it came with a ale yeast so its not a true lager.

I would let it rest at room temp for a few days, 10 at the most for the clean up of the yeast, don't rush it you'll get off flavors

I would let it rest at room temp for a few days, 10 at the most for the clean up of the yeast, don't rush it you'll get off flavors
Thank you for the help. If i let it sit will there still be enough yeast left for when i bottle it?

It's really hard to screw up beer so long as you keep everything clean.

A good rule of thumb is 2 weeks for full fermentation on just about any ale. When you've gained some experience you can start to push that time table up considerably with things like bigger yeast pitch, O2 saturation in the wort, etc. Be a little patient and keep it clean for the duration and you'll have a good beer.

Bottled it and its been 5 days i tried a bottle today and it was good so after two-three weeks i have some beer to drink. Thanks for all the help.

Back