RUN FOR COVER ?

jimmihall

Trial Member
Reaction score
OK - I bottled my first ever batch last night, and it went pretty well. That is until I realized today that I primed with 5oz table sugar on a 2.5 gallon brew. I guess I didn't pay close enough attention, or looked wrong at the calculator.
What can I expect ?

I'd get them into something waterproof and enclosed so they don't burst over the rug or into your eye.
Maybe do some regular tasting and once the carbonation is good, invite all your friends over to finish the batch off

OK - I bottled my first ever batch last night, and it went pretty well. That is until I realized today that I primed with 5oz table sugar on a 2.5 gallon brew. I guess I didn't pay close enough attention, or looked wrong at the calculator.
What can I expect ?
Flying glass. Best thing to do is uncap them pretty quickly and get rid of the beer. Second best thing, if you have 2.5 gallons of another beer ready to bottle, uncap and blend without additional priming sugar. Worst possible approach: Watch them carefully and wait for them to go off.

Flying glass. Best thing to do is uncap them pretty quickly and get rid of the beer. Second best thing, if you have 2.5 gallons of another beer ready to bottle, uncap and blend without additional priming sugar. Worst possible approach: Watch them carefully and wait for them to go off.
Hmmmm.......Do you think in order not to lose the first batch, he could make a second batch of the same recipe right away. While it is fermenting, keep the bombs in the fridge to slow/halt the yeast carbonating. After the second batch is fermented out, combine it all together and rebottle as a 5 gal run?

I'd check after a few days. I wouldn't wait much longer than that. If carbed, you may be able to put them in the fridge and really slow things down, but I'd go bottoms up with them quickly.

Hmmmm.......Do you think in order not to lose the first batch, he could make a second batch of the same recipe right away. While it is fermenting, keep the bombs in the fridge to slow/halt the yeast carbonating. After the second batch is fermented out, combine it all together and rebottle as a 5 gal run?
It would take too long. At risk of oxidation, he could empty the bottles into a fermentor, let the sugar ferment out and try again. Your idea could work but it would be a risk.

It hit me just as I was hitting post: Open the bottles, cover them loosely with aluminum foil and let them ferment. Then use carb drops or a sugar cube to prime them again.

♪ 28 bottles ♫ of beer ♪ on the wall... ♪ 28 bottles ♫ of beer ♪ on the wall...

Last edited:
I'd check after a few days. I wouldn't wait much longer than that. If carbed, you may be able to put them in the fridge and really slow things down, but I'd go bottoms up with them quickly.
With 5oz of sugar these beers would be so sweet you couldn't stand to drink them..

Yeah at bare minimum I'd put them in something covered and waterproof.

I second the uncap, let ferment completely out, then use carb drops. Seems to be the best option to avoid bottle bombs while also not having to throw away the beer. In terms of how much time you have it depends on the beer but I'd say about 1 week before you're risking broken bottles.

With 5oz of sugar these beers would be so sweet you couldn't stand to drink them..
sugar/sweet will ferment out.
Many options. You'll just have to decide which suits you best.

Open them and put a sanitized balloon on each bottle. Let them ferment out and then re do the sugar for each bottle. Use the warning sugar calculator to find out how much sugar per bottle or just buy the carb drops that are pre made for a bottle.

General consensus is find a way that suits you to let the excess sugar ferment out. Lots of variants of leaving them in the bottle and letting the sugar ferment out (I would prefer that route to pouring the beer out and risking bottle bombs). Chill and drink fast seems the least possible option and I agree: Sweet beer. Your choice how to cover but it seems that opening the bottles, covering them and letting the sugar ferment out seems to be the most recommended option.

I'd personally rather they blow in a confined area like a rubbermaid tote than in my hand when I try to depressurize them.

My assumption was that at the time of posting, they hadn't been in the bottle long. No pressure to relieve. If they've been working for more than three or four days, don't handle them.

Back