Do your different hop varieties ripen at differing times?

Lil guy

Trial Member
Reaction score
I noticed that my Centennial bines are ripening at a more rapid pace than my Cascade. For that matter, my Magnum bines barely have indications of cone development yet. There are subtle differences in the light each bine gets, so I can only assume that is the variable that creates the inconsistency if the varieties don't mature at a differing rate. Thanks in advance.

Yes they do. And different hop plants of the same variety can also.

I have them strung up to the eves of my garage for the first year on the south side for full sun. They have been evenly irrigated, and the soil is very consistent. The differences in light is from the reflection of light off the garage siding, as it is white siding. The Centennial rhizomes were considerably bigger than the rest of the 5 varieties, but the Centennial in the center with the highest amount of reflected light grew to a higher elevation, over 14 feet this 1st year. The varieties in the center of the wall with the highest amount of reflected light grew and are maturing faster than those toward the lower ends of the gable. The ends have less siding to reflect light. I could only account the light variable from having no experience with growing hop bines. Thanks for the response Thunderwagn I might just climb the ladder and pick them as they mature since it is only the first year. Next year, they should be much much better if this year is any measure.

I have them strung up to the eves of my garage for the first year on the south side for full sun. They have been evenly irrigated, and the soil is very consistent. The differences in light is from the reflection of light off the garage siding, as it is white siding. The Centennial rhizomes were considerably bigger than the rest of the 5 varieties, but the Centennial in the center with the highest amount of reflected light grew to a higher elevation, over 14 feet this 1st year. The varieties in the center of the wall with the highest amount of reflected light grew and are maturing faster than those toward the lower ends of the gable. The ends have less siding to reflect light. I could only account the light variable from having no experience with growing hop bines. Thanks for the response Thunderwagn I might just climb the ladder and pick them as they mature since it is only the first year. Next year, they should be much much better if this year is any measure.

That's what I would do. Pick what's ripe and let them continue to grow a good root system and establish as long as possible. Cut them down this fall. Next year you can just start taking down by bines. That's what I'd do anyway. You'll get to a point where having some smaller hop loss won't mean so much. Sounds like you're having a great 1st year! That's awesome.

I understood them to only get 8-10 feet the first year.

I understood them to only get 8-10 feet the first year.

Oh, no, mine easily got much bigger the first year- full size in height but less cones than in future years. Now, they are just a huge jungle and out of control and popping up all over the yard- they are quite invasive.

I read that it is recommended to divide the rhizome every few years like perennial plants that seed. The rhizome just continues to grow like any other rhizome plant. Kentucky Blue grass used to be the Cadillac of grasses for its ability to be dense as it is a rhizome grass.

Back