Getting a new BIAB set up

Texas Ale Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, yeah, I hope that in the next month to have my new High Gravity Wort Hog eBIAB system up and running.

I do have a couple of question for B'sF….

Is there a BIAB profile thread? And, I am using a basket to hold the bag, do I need to, and if so how would I account for water displacement?

Thanks

TAW

Basket doesn't matter for efficiency calculations. Conversion efficiency uses total water added, grains are usually removed before taking mash complete and pre-boil readings.

Your efficiency with this new rig will be determined by replication from brew to brew untill you get her dialed in.

Is it electric or gas BIAB? Love checking out peeps brew rigs:D.

Your efficiency with this new rig will be determined by replication from brew to brew untill you get her dialed in.

Is it electric or gas BIAB? Love checking out peeps brew rigs:D.
it will be electric, it is the 15 gallon Wort Hog set up from High Gravity brewing.

Have a few modifications in mind already, but should be a good starting point.
I have built my own brewery ever since I started brewing in 2008, now...I just want an off the shelf solution....

T

Well im sure with that much brewing expierene it wont take you long to get that brew rig dialed in.:)

Basket doesn't matter for efficiency calculations. Conversion efficiency uses total water added, grains are usually removed before taking mash complete and pre-boil readings.

It was more for counting losses, but I guess, if I go with the water as calculated by BF, then displacement is only an issue if the pot overflows

T

Should be ordering this next week (fingers crossed)

Out of the gate I will be adding a whirlpool arm, and side pickup tube.

Just pulled the trigger on the High Gravity eBIAB system. Basic configuration, only change was an extra hole drilled so I can add a whirlpool. Because it has a basket, the whirlpool will have to be mounted low.

Working with Dave and Desiree at High Gravity has been awesome. They were extremely patient and answered every question quickly. Their eStore Front has a chat feature, and using it was a seamless process.

I am super excited to have it on order and can't wait until it arrives. Will be after next weekend because I am off to Estes Park for some camping!!!

T

I built a stand and a PVC DIY pump and chiller station. Once I get the pump and chiller mounted, I will start building the HG system. I got the spincycle submerged, and edge pick up tube from brew hardware. Those are the only change to the OG system

I need to talk to my better half. Maybe she will buy me one of these $1000 systems for birthday/anniversary combined present :D. My total expenses for brewing Eq so far is still under $300 and that is after buying a new brew pot.

Could someone give me tips on how to convince SWMBO that I REALLY really need to spend another grand on brewing equipment. ???

I need to talk to my better half. Maybe she will buy me one of these $1000 systems for birthday/anniversary combined present :D. My total expenses for brewing Eq so far is still under $300 and that is after buying a new brew pot.

Could someone give me tips on how to convince SWMBO that I REALLY really need to spend another grand on brewing equipment. ???

do you really need to?

if you want to go eBIAB, and you have most of the stuff already, I might be able to help witht he electric side. I have a 2 PID controller and element I need to sell.

Or do what im looking at just using cheep.$10 kettle elements

just do like i did and buy one or two things every paycheck, after 6 years I have a complete system

I don't get paid, I'm retired, so fixed income. Wife had no sense of humor about spending $1000 dollars on beer making,
she said I need to sell my motorcycle and use some of that money. Guess I will just stick with my two kettle and single burner I have since Im not ready to get rid of bike (even though I can't ride it this year)

I sold mine, my camper and my hunting riffles, just taking up space why not

Yep live within your means i say. Ive always kept my brewing hobby a simmering expense if you will so as not to raise any suspicion :rolleyes:.

But quality equipment dont come cheap.

It's my experience that cheap equipment is much more expensive in the long run.

Back