Getting a new BIAB set up

agreed, you'll end up buying it twice, I've done that too many times, save and buy the best

But you know for example a picnic tap will do in the meantime until you can afford the good stuff.

And research that item make sure it adds up to the price tag. Even get a second opinion on a forum like this. The dud items will always get weeded out.

I'm not saying don't buy a picnic tap while waiting for the good stuff, just buy a good picnic tap.

There’s a saying where I come from “poor people can’t afford to be cheap”.

German saying: "He who buys cheap goods must be rich."

Every time I watch them dig up bones on Expedition unknown, or some other science show, i can't help but ask myself how long someone must be dead before it stops being grave robbing and becomes archeology??
And along those lines how much does one spend on a hobby before you crossover from being a hobbyist to being an un-paid semi-pro?? :D

note to self ..stay off forum after 3rd beer ..you ask stupid questions…:D:D

Every time I watch them dig up bones on Expedition unknown, or some other science show, i can't help but ask myself how long someone must be dead before it stops being grave robbing and becomes archeology??
And along those lines how much does one spend on a hobby before you crossover from being a hobbyist to being an un-paid semi-pro?? :D

note to self ..stay off forum after 3rd beer ..you ask stupid questions…:D:D
Both good questions - food for thought!

Attach4333_20180803_184803.jpg
Attach4327_20180803_183713.jpg

Quite clever what with the PVC pipe and all. Can you store the pump and chiller in the box?

Good setup not to complicated.
Heat via gas burner?
Mash in a bag or wire basket?

Pump station fits in the box.

Electric eBIAB, mash in bag in a basket.
Low mounted whirlpool and edge pickup tube

Attach4344_20180803_192051.jpg

It's a Bayou Classic pot with the steamer basket. It has some small screws around the top that keep it from sitting down all the way.

I can post a pic tomorrow

How do you like your flat plate heat exchanger? I've always been a copper coil fan myself (Jaded Brewing) but for size and efficiency I'm curious to hear how you like it.

My first bib set up was just like that, just a note those plate chillers get clogged easy, not meant for hoppy beer

Honestly, it works great, but I would rather have an IC. I stress about how clean it is

I have a SS hop basket, and with the whirlpool and edge pickup I hope it will stay cleaner

Leak test and function check went well. The boil coil was adding about 2 degrees a minute.... estimate....full volume check and cleaning tomorrow or Monday

Did you do a test to see how long it takes to get to mash temps then to boil temps? The system comes with a BIAB bag and not a basket?

Back