Issues with new version

PZ

Premium Member
Reaction score
In mash chemistry page, sparge/kettle addition textboxes are disabled. (Reported this on another thread, but this looks like the right place.)

Mash schedule in brew session not making it in from recipe to the mash tab, even with rebuilding session. Seems to happen when editing snapshot, as opposed to hitting brew button from recipe.

Also, someone should look at the DP calculation. It includes late additions (not being mashed) and includes caramel malts as part of the total conversion load.

Thanks, PZ

The reason the brew session doesn't load the mash schedule is that the mash schedule isn't being saved properly (or at all). I sure do wish that brewers friend would stop adding bells and whistles and correct all the known issues. Brew house efficiency, and preboil gravity in the brew session, diastatic power and custom attenuation (it adjusts for the mash temp instead of just using the number) in the recipe builder. These are issues that are important to me. Sorry to be a crank.

The reason the brew session doesn't load the mash schedule is that the mash schedule isn't being saved properly (or at all). I sure do wish that brewers friend would stop adding bells and whistles and correct all the known issues. Brew house efficiency, and preboil gravity in the brew session, diastatic power and custom attenuation (it adjusts for the mash temp instead of just using the number) in the recipe builder. These are issues that are important to me. Sorry to be a crank.

I think you're right that some things definitely need to be improved, like the custom attenuation and the BH efficiency. But what do you mean about the diastatic power? Please let me know what is is that you want to see address, so I can add it to our fix list.

Just put together a recipe with a late addition and some cane sugar that won't be added to the mash. Then zero out the amounts to see what happens. Crystal malts don't need conversion. I don't know whether they reduce enzymatic activity simply by taking up space, but if the calculation is a weighted average DP, then they should not be included,.. I think. I personally don't think the calculation is that helpful and just takes up room. Similarly, the recipe entry using percent doesn't work the way I expected. A while back it was weighting the OG contribution, not the weight. Today I couldn't get it to work at all, but I might not be doing it right. To top it off, I didn't see anything in the online documentation that would clarify matters. I am a programmer myself so I both sympathize and have less patience with your challenges. Your other users might disagree, but I would like to see consistent calculations across all the pages and the bells and whistles removed. Thanks for listenimg.

PS: as to brew house efficiency, I was really referring to the preboil gravity. To me this would be my #1 fix. I can do the math, but it's irritating g.

Just put together a recipe with a late addition and some cane sugar that won't be added to the mash. Then zero out the amounts to see what happens. Crystal malts don't need conversion. I don't know whether they reduce enzymatic activity simply by taking up space, but if the calculation is a weighted average DP, then they should not be included,.. I think. I personally don't think the calculation is that helpful and just takes up room. Similarly, the recipe entry using percent doesn't work the way I expected. A while back it was weighting the OG contribution, not the weight. Today I couldn't get it to work at all, but I might not be doing it right. To top it off, I didn't see anything in the online documentation that would clarify matters. I am a programmer myself so I both sympathize and have less patience with your challenges. Your other users might disagree, but I would like to see consistent calculations across all the pages and the bells and whistles removed. Thanks for listenimg.

I'm still not sure what you're saying about the DP.. I'm sorry to be so thick. Crystal malts don't have DP but they can be converted in a mash vs steep, and of course sugar doesn't have DP. Are you saying if you click "late addition" or something like that, that the sugar impacts the DP?

As far as the OG goal, it was working the last time I used it but I can check that out now.

And now I can't seem to save a water profile. Select balanced, save, looks ok. Refresh and it back to one of my private profiles. Can you roll back to the previous version.?

I just looked at both of those issues- if you click "late addition" like for sugar that will be added after the mash, there is no impact on the DP. If you click "OG" and set the goal, it worked perfectly for me in every case. If you are having issues, please send me a screen shot so I can fix any problems.

And now I can't seem to save a water profile. Select balanced, save, looks ok. Refresh and it back to one of my private profiles. Can you roll back to the previous version.?

Yes, we are in the process of fixing this right now!

With respect to the DP, change the amount to 0 or delete the record and you will see a change

tacking on here, the water profile page under advanced water chemistry has too many boxes missing,, kind of a mess at the moment. Can't choose Water target, can't choose source water, and there's nowhere for it to preload the grist like it did before.

I think this was an attempt to only work with a recipe not as an independent calculator, it will all get fixed, I have faith in the guys, they know what their doing

tacking on here, the water profile page under advanced water chemistry has too many boxes missing,, kind of a mess at the moment. Can't choose Water target, can't choose source water, and there's nowhere for it to preload the grist like it did before.

what do you mean too many boxes missing? there is a hide/show link and most are hidden by default.

what do you mean too many boxes missing? there is a hide/show link and most are hidden by default.
The hide show isn’t there anymore as of last night when I brewed. Haven’t checked this morning.

But there are a lot of options I listed above that weren’t shown. I couldn’t enter my source water anywhere, and the drop down for water target wasn’t there. The grist info wouldn’t let me preload from recipe. (Using newest Mac OS and newest Safari)

The hide show isn’t there anymore as of last night when I brewed. Haven’t checked this morning.

But there are a lot of options I listed above that weren’t shown. I couldn’t enter my source water anywhere, and the drop down for water target wasn’t there. The grist info wouldn’t let me preload from recipe. (Using newest Mac OS and newest Safari)

this has been fixed, looked like all browsers but Chrome had issues.

I sure do wish that brewers friend would stop adding bells and whistles and correct all the known issues.
I couldn’t agree more. Acid additions aren’t carrying over to my recipes with the new feature, but more importantly, where I had to add acid to get to 5.4 mash ph, now I’m close to 5.4 without adding acid.

Considering how much I rage about this with Azure I feel I should agree on this. New shinies are great, but if everything is coming out half baked at best it's probably time to slow it down.

New problem when you attempt to change inventory amount and click Save (add) the name of the item is removed and goes to top if inventory. IE I have .5 lbs 2row , I add 1lb to have 1.5 lbs the number saves but the name 2row is removed

Is this still happening? If so, could you please give me a screen shot of "before" and "after"? I cannot recreate it.

Yes Yoper, but I figured out a work-around.

Starting with an old recipe (last updated prior to the water chemistry link feature) and separate mash and brewing water calculator (BWC). When I open the old recipe and related BWC, then with the new feature, link the BWC, the salts come over to the recipe but not the acid addition. The problem seems to be using the “specify acid by target mash pH” check box. So if I had checked that box and my target mash pH was 5.4 which resulted in say 4 ml of lactic acid, I have had to uncheck the “specify acid by target mash pH” box and enter 4 ml of acid. Then save/update the water calcs and go back to the recipe and update the water calculator link. Then the acid shows up in the recipe.

Basically it appears acids are not carrying over to the old recipes when using the “specify acid by target mash pH” feature in the BWC.

Hope this makes sense. A screen print isn’t that helpful.

Thanks, Dan.

Last edited:

Back