Done Judging

I judged beer at the Arapahoe County Fair yesterday and today. And got the tough flights. Lots of bad IPAs, the most entered categories. But some really good beers, too. And I always learn something, no matter how bad the beer. Benefits of judging.

Do you learn both what to do and what not to do? ;)

Do you learn both what to do and what not to do? ;)
Absolutely! There are great beers you think, could I do that and not so good ones you think, how can I avoid that. But going through 16 beers and evaluating them critically then having to write about them really sharpens your ability to evaluate your own beer. More than entering competitions, I recommend judging to improve your tasting skills and your beer.

Who here sits down with a 50 point score sheet to evaluate their beer?

I dont but wondering if anyone does.

at times I've swore I drank 3 beers and the next morning found I've drank 5 in 3 hours, Doe that's why I get the exploding head syndrome

I

I actually do , I then give bottles to other more experienced judges for a scoresheet to ensure I'm judging fairly .
Scoresheets all go in a file with other brewing notes for reference later

I don't, but it might be interesting to try it, but then again I can have trouble discerning the difference between bitterness and astringency!

Yep im too biased anyhow. like your Idea Mark of comparing your scores with other brewers.

Its hard to judge your own beer fairly , if anything I'm a harder judge on my own product .
Took a stout that didn't quite impress me along for group feedback and judge trainer scored it a 38 , myself and most of the group scored within +/- 1.5 points of that .
Same comments regarding balance and flavour and not a single comment regarding off flavours .
Most brewers would be happy with a 38 and last year that score would have made nationals , the rebrewed version is a 42 point beer .
I'd recommend any serious brewer who even dreams of going pro to think about studying for Bjcp accreditation, I cant sit exams for 2 more months in my home state

I wish I knew some judges that I could send my beer to. I am very hard on my own beers... Recently joined a home Brew club in hopes to get better feedback.

Its hard to judge your own beer fairly , if anything I'm a harder judge on my own product .
Took a stout that didn't quite impress me along for group feedback and judge trainer scored it a 38 , myself and most of the group scored within +/- 1.5 points of that .
Same comments regarding balance and flavour and not a single comment regarding off flavours .
Most brewers would be happy with a 38 and last year that score would have made nationals , the rebrewed version is a 42 point beer .
I'd recommend any serious brewer who even dreams of going pro to think about studying for Bjcp accreditation, I cant sit exams for 2 more months in my home state
Starting Sunday, our homebrew club is going into a group effort to get the whole club on the road to becoming BJCP judges. You don't have to go that route and the checklist form of the scoresheet is a great way to approach evaluating beer. Structured tasting, actually having a process for evaluating a beer, is one of the best skills a brewer can have. I sat with a nationally recognized judge and in all but two cases, our scores were within four points of each other. That's pretty close considering we were picking up things in different orders.

Starting Sunday, our homebrew club is going into a group effort to get the whole club on the road to becoming BJCP judges. You don't have to go that route and the checklist form of the scoresheet is a great way to approach evaluating beer. Structured tasting, actually having a process for evaluating a beer, is one of the best skills a brewer can have. I sat with a nationally recognized judge and in all but two cases, our scores were within four points of each other. That's pretty close considering we were picking up things in different orders.
The whole club ? That's ambitious !
Not sure what % of our club are certified but know of at least a dozen but none are national ranked , bloody hard to earn points in Australia since we have so few bjcp comps

I can imagine. I'd think the training would still be worthwhile, especially the structured tasting process.

I been thinking of going down the judging path. We have a well seasoned judge in our club that will team up with me. It would be my luck to end up on beers I don’t like.

Good for you Nosybear!

Back