Water requirements during brew day

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
When I hit Brew it! during brew day, the water requirements it wants me to use are exceedingly high...

Is there something in my profile I can re-dial in?

I use 10 quarts to mash with. It typically absorbs about 1 quart. I sparge 3 quarts back in, getting me to my 12 quart boil size.

I boil down to 9 quarts, and then add a 1 liter starter back in getting 10 quarts again.

But, here is what the requirements spit out at me:

Water: Gallons/Quarts
Total mash water needed: 5.51 / 22
Grain absorption losses: -0.63 / -2.5
Volume increase from sugar/extract: 0.02 / 0.1
Starting boil volume: 4.9 / 19.6
Boil off losses: -2.25 / -9
Hops absorption losses: -0.15 / -0.6
Amount going into fermentor: 2.5 / 10
Total: 5.51 / 22

Total mash water should be 2.5/10
Starting boil volume should be 3/12
Boil off losses should be .75/3
Hop absorption should be...0 if anything

nothing on this yet?

Water estimations are different now, but still way over what I'm using. Makes my efficiencies silly in some ways as the day goes on.

nothing on this yet?

Water estimations are different now, but still way over what I'm using. Makes my efficiencies silly in some ways as the day goes on.

We're releasing the update soon, later this week I believe. I'll keep you posted. I know it's frustrating, and we're working on fixing it for our members.

Hey, just wanted to chime in too. Had a brew day this weekend and grain absorption was way off (calculated 1.35, only lost .345). I do BIAB with a very fine crush if that helps. Let me know if I can help provide more details!

Edit: I also give my bag a pretty mighty squeeze so that could be part of the issue.

Last edited:
Hey, just wanted to chime in too. Had a brew day this weekend and grain absorption was way off (calculated 1.35, only lost .345). I do BIAB with a very fine crush if that helps. Let me know if I can help provide more details!

Edit: I also give my bag a pretty mighty squeeze so that could be part of the issue.

You set your own grain absorption rate in your equipment profile. Once you change it to reflect your system the water requirements should update appropriately. My estimated water requirements from were pretty dead on last brewday.

You set your own grain absorption rate in your equipment profile. Once you change it to reflect your system the water requirements should update appropriately. My estimated water requirements from were pretty dead on last brewday.

Well don't I look silly. It was set at .8. Looks like rule of thumb is 0.1 gal/LB. Since Brewers friend does qt/lb that would be .4L/LB, right?

Thanks for pointing that out!

No worries at all. In the general settings you can set it to gallons instead too if it's easier (just make sure you go back to the equipment profile to make sure everything updated appropriately). And yeah 0.1gal/LB is what I usually hit (BIAB) for my grain absorption too. Cheers :)

**Edit - nevermind it only goes to qt, not gallon. My mistake :p

Last edited:

Back