Home from Germany and the Czech Republic!

Yooper

Administrator
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
I just had the world's best beercation. I had a friend who had a friend.............and I drank with the owner of Schlenkerla (and the next day went into the cellar and drank out of the lagering tanks with the brewmaster!), did the same at Pilsner Urquell, hiked in the Alps, biked in Munich, swam in an Alpine lake, went to the world's oldest brewing monastery, waded in the Danube, etc. It was amazing!

I'll dig up some pictures once I have them on my computer.

I'm super jealous.

Coming to GABF this year? I have a friend who has a friend....

I wish I could! I spent all of my beercation money for this year for sure.
I wish you could, too. It would be a pleasure to meet you in person and no, I wasn't expecting the previous avatar.... :p

Awesome stuff Yooper! Hope you got some first hand recipies you might want to share from them esteemed brewmasters;).

Who jealous, this guy. Hope it was a great trip. Look forward to pictures.

I just had the world's best beercation. I had a friend who had a friend.............and I drank with the owner of Schlenkerla (and the next day went into the cellar and drank out of the lagering tanks with the brewmaster!), did the same at Pilsner Urquell, hiked in the Alps, biked in Munich, swam in an Alpine lake, went to the world's oldest brewing monastery, waded in the Danube, etc. It was amazing!

Sounds like a great trip! Definitely jealous of Schlenkerla and Pilsner Urquell, though I really have no excuse. :-/
Am curious though what your impression of "biking in Munich" was...
I have only really properly visited Munich once, but it was recently, and biking looked (I was on foot) fairly normally chaotic for a german city.

Sounds like a great trip! Definitely jealous of Schlenkerla and Pilsner Urquell, though I really have no excuse. :-/
Am curious though what your impression of "biking in Munich" was...
I have only really properly visited Munich once, but it was recently, and biking looked (I was on foot) fairly normally chaotic for a german city.

Oh, yes, chaotic. BUT.......bikes are much more accepted than pedestrians! As a pedestrian, they can get mowed down by cars and bikes both. If you're in the bike lane (and they are everywhere), you can just ring your bell and expect everyone to move out of the way, or else you may mow them down. It was very safe, and I felt safer on a bike than in many cars since they drive too fast even in the city, around corners and at intersections!

We rode bikes through the English Garden to go to the Chinese Tower Biergarten- the second largest beer garden in the world!

Oh, yes, chaotic. BUT.......bikes are much more accepted than pedestrians! As a pedestrian, they can get mowed down by cars and bikes both. If you're in the bike lane (and they are everywhere), you can just ring your bell and expect everyone to move out of the way, or else you may mow them down. It was very safe, and I felt safer on a bike than in many cars since they drive too fast even in the city, around corners and at intersections!

We rode bikes through the English Garden to go to the Chinese Tower Biergarten- the second largest beer garden in the world!
"else you may mow them down" ....I wish it was that easy (having almost mowed one down this morning myself) :rolleyes::D
It is true that most do in fact respect the bell though! ...which is nice.
I actually have a couple pics of the Chinese Tower Biergarten from June lying around too. Was definitely impressive to see the size of it. Thankfully I was there early in the day it was empty. Can't imagine what it is like at night with the great biergarten weather this year.

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a great time. Happy for you.

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a great time. Happy for you.

Thank you so much! I did have a great time, and am still in the state of unbelief at some of the things I had the opportunity to do. I did decide that if I ever need to relocate, the perfect village is Aying. Not just one of the best breweries around, but the most charming and picture perfect village I've ever seen, and a short train ride from Munich. No traffic to speak of, and just the perfect looking village with nice people.

Cool. Must have been fun and full of resources

Back