Quick beer

Ozarks Mountain Brewery

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a very quick beer, fast easy hardly any clean up using just extract and hops, I've done something similar but not to this extent.

So my plan is first I freeze half my treated water solid 3 days ahead then add all the dme to the fermentation vessel dry, "Large bucket" then use my 5 gallon pot and boil only the hops for 15 minutes, pour everything into the fermentation vessel, mix well and let that set for 15 minutes then add the frozen ice, it melts and cools the wort so stir well then oxygenate and pitch yeast , issues are you use 3 times the hops for the correct bitterness and the price is hefty but it can be done

done in an hour at most

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Quick Beer

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 15 min
Batch Size: 11.5 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.39%
IBU (tinseth): 33.24
SRM (morey): 6.29

FERMENTABLES:
7.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (50%)
7.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (50%)

HOPS:
6 oz - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 15.35
6 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 13.11
3 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.78

I've done very similar brews for small batches. Usually low gravity for yeast propagation and usually something like a Blonde or Bitter where the hop usage is more limited.

I'm thinking about a very quick beer, fast easy hardly any clean up using just extract and hops, I've done something similar but not to this extent.

So my plan is first I freeze half my treated water solid 3 days ahead then add all the dme to the fermentation vessel dry, "Large bucket" then use my 5 gallon pot and boil only the hops for 15 minutes, pour everything into the fermentation vessel, mix well and let that set for 15 minutes then add the frozen ice, it melts and cools the wort so stir well then oxygenate and pitch yeast , issues are you use 3 times the hops for the correct bitterness and the price is hefty but it can be done

done in an hour at most

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Quick Beer

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 15 min
Batch Size: 11.5 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.39%
IBU (tinseth): 33.24
SRM (morey): 6.29

FERMENTABLES:
7.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (50%)
7.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (50%)

HOPS:
6 oz - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 15.35
6 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 13.11
3 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.78
Maybe trying something that only needs 10-20 IBUs would be more cost effective.

Regardless, a wicked neat udea. Let me know how it turns out if you decide to try it!

I've made a quick blonde that way but I did boil the dme back then and it was a mess to clean up, price tag upwords of $90

that's also for a 10 gallon batch kegged, I was shocked too the dme alone was $74

Would it be possible to use a liquid hop extract (hop shot) for your bittering? Might be more cost effective than 12oz of hops, not to mention less sludge to deal with.

Yo Nosy. ..your recipe is not sharing.

Got me thinking. How much am I worth to myself for an hour. And how much I would pay myself to make beer! Great idea and eager to hear how it comes out!

Got me thinking. How much am I worth to myself for an hour. And how much I would pay myself to make beer! Great idea and eager to hear how it comes out!
Mine takes an hour and a half counting mixing, boiling, chilling and pitching. It costs about $17 in ingredients for a gallon. It's pricey beer, sure, but it's yours. Besides, I use it to test ingredients.

I think of it as adding hops to a yeast starter in order to have something to show for the effort rather than pouring something down the drain in decanting. :)
I think of it as testing ingredients but your take is valid as well.... Interesting idea, though. Make a gallon of this stuff with very little hops, ferment with the yeast of your choice, rack the beer off and use the yeast as a starter, mix up a quart or so of low-gravity extract wort, boil with hops, combine with the beer, let them finish fermenting.... Brilliant!

Reactions: J A
I've got a 2.5 gallon batch of .040 Amber Lager going while I'm on vacation. I used a gallon and a half of wort left over from a brew a few days earlier, boiled for 30 minutes with hops and a late addition of LME to bring the gravity up enough to add a gallon of water. It's bubbling away at 60 or so and when I get back home in 2 weeks, it'll have settled and finished. I'll either raise temp and then crash or just rack it to a half-size keg and chill for carb and clearing. I'll have a nice little beer to drink while I'm doing a traditional lager fermentation on a big batch of American Lager.
The wort was mostly Pilsner so I get to do a DMS test while I'm at it. ;)

Back