Bottle of gelatin?

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So, I used some gelatin to clear a beer recently and when I went to rack it to the keg last night (out if a fastferment conical) I noticed the gelatin hadn't dropped into the ball as I hoped but instead clung to the sides of the fermenter...

So, since I wanted to bottle a bit if the batch and use carbing drops to carbonate, I decided to go ahead and bottle 6 first and then put into the keg.

So here is the deal and the question:
The first bottle was a hazy bottle of fuzzy gelatin and the second was half and half. The rest were clear. I dropped a carbing drop in each and set aside, then racked my clear beer to the keg.

I suppose the gelatin bottle will settle and I can pour off at least some beer later? Is that first bottle undrinkable? I'm just curious.

That first bottle may still have yeast, excess proteins, etc, along with the gelatin. I wouldn't dump it, I'd let it carb up and afterward store in the refrigerator for a while to let it drop out, it'll be totally fine!

How cold was the beer when you treated it with gelatin? It works best at 33F, the gelatin drops out in 36-72 hours.. The clinging to sides is pretty common on glass carboys.

Brew on!

That first bottle may still have yeast, excess proteins, etc, along with the gelatin. I wouldn't dump it, I'd let it carb up and afterward store in the refrigerator for a while to let it drop out, it'll be totally fine!

How cold was the beer when you treated it with gelatin? It works best at 33F, the gelatin drops out in 36-72 hours.. The clinging to sides is pretty common on glass carboys.

Brew on!
Beer was at 35 degrees. Sat for 40 hours. Good to hear you recommend leaving it as I figured I'd let the bottle ride but was curious what others thought and if anyone else has ever bottled any.

So, I used some gelatin to clear a beer recently and when I went to rack it to the keg last night (out if a fastferment conical) I noticed the gelatin hadn't dropped into the ball as I hoped but instead clung to the sides of the fermenter...

So, since I wanted to bottle a bit if the batch and use carbing drops to carbonate, I decided to go ahead and bottle 6 first and then put into the keg.

So here is the deal and the question:
The first bottle was a hazy bottle of fuzzy gelatin and the second was half and half. The rest were clear. I dropped a carbing drop in each and set aside, then racked my clear beer to the keg.

I suppose the gelatin bottle will settle and I can pour off at least some beer later? Is that first bottle undrinkable? I'm just curious.
Sounds like you overheated the gelatin. It's good up to about 160° F for fining, beyond that, it should be used for kids' snacks. It's jell-o.

Sounds like you overheated the gelatin. It's good up to about 160° F for fining, beyond that, it should be used for kids' snacks. It's jell-o.
I actually thought the opposite as I was below 150 when I added gelatin.... If it was overheated what other effects might I expect?

I stay below 150, it's usually 145 by the time it gets poured

I actually thought the opposite as I was below 150 when I added gelatin.... If it was overheated what other effects might I expect?
It becomes jell-o. You should expect clumps of gelatin. When I use gelatin using my current process, I get a nice, compact sediment on the bottom of the carboy. I used to boil the water, then add the gelatin, with results like you describe. That's what led me to the overheating idea. Oh, and it's not effective overheated since as soon as it cools, it forms jell-o.

I've never had that issue and I heat it quite a bit.

It becomes jell-o. You should expect clumps of gelatin. When I use gelatin using my current process, I get a nice, compact sediment on the bottom of the carboy. I used to boil the water, then add the gelatin, with results like you describe. That's what led me to the overheating idea. Oh, and it's not effective overheated since as soon as it cools, it forms jell-o.
Shoot! I did boil and then let cool to under 150. First time I ever did it that way too. We'll, there is the answer! Lol I'll go back to doing it the way I used to - bumping the water up to 150 or so in the microwave.

Thanks Nosy.

I use tap water and don't boil it.

I've never had that issue and I heat it quite a bit.
I agree. I first boil the water, remove from heat, add my gelatin dose of 1 tsp per 5 gallons, stir well, add to the cold beer with a funnel to avoid hitting the glass and then gently sit the beer to mix in the gelatin. I get fast, beautiful results. I don’t bloom the gelatin. The mix hits the beer just below boiling temp. I never boil the gelatin to avoid denaturing the proteins in the gelatin. It’s one of the easiest ways to clear beer.

I get better results this way then when bloomed the gelatin and heated the mixture to 150F and it’s simpler.

I have seriously doubts you can denature gelatin in the first place considering it's made by boiling animal bits.

Ive gotten pretty sloppy with some things "knock on wood" all I do now is heat a cup of water in the microwave to 150 open the keg add the knox to the glass stir it and dump fast, just a quick push back and fourth with my big spoon then cap on and degass, mine foams big time

I pour 1/3 a packet of knox in a tumbler with water, microwave it, if I can't find my thermometer I just get it "real hot", then pour it in the carboy and walk away.

Rookie question. Why gelatin? doesn't whirlflock work as good or better? Seems easy tossing a half tab in the wort just before chilling

I use gelatin only for crystal clear blonds or lightly hopped beer

Back