Bottle of gelatin?

Rookie question. Why gelatin? doesn't whirlflock work as good or better? Seems easy tossing a half tab in the wort just before chilling

I do both.

Whirlfloc is more to help coagulate proteins and settle them out in the kettle. Gelatin is used to deal with yeast and other haze causing things post fermentation.

Ive gotten pretty sloppy with some things "knock on wood" all I do now is heat a cup of water in the microwave to 150 open the keg add the knox to the glass stir it and dump fast, just a quick push back and fourth with my big spoon then cap on and degass, mine foams big time
I do similar, but put the gelatin in the cold water and go up to 150 in stages stirring in between and then just add to the fermenter without stirring...............works fine.

I have seriously doubts you can denature gelatin in the first place considering it's made by boiling animal bits.
No, but it does make Jell-O.
Rookie question. Why gelatin? doesn't whirlflock work as good or better? Seems easy tossing a half tab in the wort just before chilling
We generally use gelatin to "polish" a beer, to make one crystal-clear, say, for competitions. And the difference: Whirlfloc helps coagulate hot break material. Gelatin is used at finishing to clean up any proteins and yeast still in suspension (never fear, it leaves enough that the beer will carbonate) and to make the beer more heat-stable, read, clean up chill haze.

Whirlfloc will drop excess proteins and tannins in the boil, the trub or cold break will settle to the bottom of the fermenter. After fermentation if you want to clear the beer of yeast, more excess proteins and tannins, you need to use a fining agent.

Gelatin is the one of the easiest to use and like most fining agents, they work best when the beer is near freezing. You don’t have to use anything if you don’t care about clarity. I use whirlfloc, gelatin and PVPP, but most brewers generally use just whirlfloc and gelatin and are happy with the results.

Last edited:
I do similar, but put the gelatin in the cold water and go up to 150 in stages stirring in between and then just add to the fermenter without stirring...............works fine.
This is how I had done it previously. Apparently I must have thought it would just be quicker to quickly boil a cup and then let it cool.... I'll be going back to the method you've mentioned.

I'm not a fan!
Adding animal to my beer isn't something I promote.
Have you smelled it? Yuck!
Beer brewed right and properly finished, in most cases, will clear. Sometimes you just have to be patient.
There are some cases where a beer will be hazy, but that's usually a style thing (Dry Hopped, Hefe, ect.) and is expected.
Pretty sure those Germans aren't using it. Just Sayin.
Brian

This is how I had done it previously. Apparently I must have thought it would just be quicker to quickly boil a cup and then let it cool.... I'll be going back to the method you've mentioned.
Yeah, it's pretty easy, I only use .5 tsp to 23 Lt. I cold crash and when it gets down to 10c add the gelatin and keg 48 hours later, it's amazing how effective it is ! Igot this method from Brulosophy.......a great site.

We generally use gelatin to "polish" a beer, to make one crystal-clear, say, for competitions. And the difference: Whirlfloc helps coagulate hot break material. Gelatin is used at finishing to clean up any proteins and yeast still in suspension (never fear, it leaves enough that the beer will carbonate) and to make the beer more heat-stable, read, clean up chill haze.

I've not experienced that personally.

I don't have any problems with "jello". If you want to make jello you will need to have a higher concentration of gelatin, with one teaspoon in 6-8 ounces of boiling water and then diluted further in beer, I think it's doubtful that some how the gelatin would be able to bond enough protein molecules to produce "jello". One of the biggest advantages is as it settles through the beer it will form a firm later at the bottom, but even that isn't exactly "jello".
Pretty sure those Germans aren't using it. Just Sayin.
That is very true. They use PVPP to bond to the tannins in the beer that cause chill haze, which is basically plastic, then they filter it out.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-60w_IvRv3BNnNndmh4NlRJVE9UR1lJTVFhR09IN2hGd3ZB

This is photo of an American lager that has been treated with gelatin and PVPP. I took the picture just after pulling from the refrig and there is zero chill haze. I don't filter the beer, I just wait for the PVPP to drop out. No "jello" at all.

Last edited:
the photo didn't show up here but I peaked and that is very clear beer

Back