Integrate water calcs into recipe wizard

shoo

Premium Member
Reaction score
It seems very clunky to me to have the water calculators entirely separate from the recipe wizard. These should definitely be integrated. This also has the benefit of live updating estimated ph and filling in minerals.

It seems very clunky to me to have the water calculators entirely separate from the recipe wizard. These should definitely be integrated. This also has the benefit of live updating estimated ph and filling in minerals.

Yes, we are working on that right now and I’m hoping it’s released soon!

This would be nice. would also be nice if when doing water adjustments the chemicals/salts needed to match the selected profile be added automatically.

I wouldnt want this i want to manually add salts as i feel fit per style as per malts per style hops per style yeast ect ect.

Maybe a style indicator like in recipie builder the green check box.

What I want is after you chose the profile for the style of beer and your starting water the calculator would add the salt's needed to get that profile. so if I was brewing a light colored IPA I would choose the profile "light and hoppy" then select my water profile, say RO. from there the calculator would add the salt's needed to get that profile. even if it just suggested what needed to be added then allow you to choose the amount and yea the green checkbox thing would be good.

What I want is after you chose the profile for the style of beer and your starting water the calculator would add the salt's needed to get that profile. so if I was brewing a light colored IPA I would choose the profile "light and hoppy" then select my water profile, say RO. from there the calculator would add the salt's needed to get that profile. even if it just suggested what needed to be added then allow you to choose the amount and yea the green checkbox thing would be good.

This for the win!

This for the win!
I understand what you mean here but I am sort of old school with adding salts and water profile. Mostly because I am reading and learning more about water all the time. It is very clunky to have to open a separate calculator from the recipe but I don't mind adding my own salts and not being told what to add. The more complicated you make this software the more glitches and the more difficult it is for beginners to understand. Water is something you need to fully understand before you start messing with it. It does need to be easier to access and adjust per recipe than it is now and they have been working on it now for a while. Now you can manually enter salts onto the recipe editor but if they could just sync the calculator with the recipe editor so it automatically lists the additions you have come up with in the water calculations section, I would be good with that.

I'm in the same camp with Head First. I can't see me ever making "Burton water" for anything. Mostly all I do is correct my mash pH and make sure I have enough calcium in the water to support the mash. Also agree - if anything, I'd like to see the Water Calculator link back to the Recipe Calculator so I don't have to click over to edit a recipe I'm already happy with. Say, if I do a water calculation linked to a recipe, show me the results in the recipe. Okay, if someone really wants to reproduce Grodzisk's water because their Piwo Grodziskie wouldn't be authentic without it, give them the option of coming up with the closest differential to get to it easily, say, suggest salts to get from the source to the target but that becomes rather complicated math, iterative calculations and so forth. I'm happy with the calculator as it is, really.

one thing you can already do is create a water report from a recipe then add that to your profile water reports by hand then later it will show up in the drop down of predefined reports in the recipe, then you can add each salt or ph additive to your inventory one at a time in the inventory and from the recipe editor pull then up in that drop down

I too would like this feature. Is it being considered for a future release?

this is already done, try it out and give us feedback
Sorry I must be missing something. I see where the Deltas are given, and where I can manually enter salts and how data here updates the deltas, but not an automatic additions calculator.

oh I read that wrong, well you ask 50 people how to build water and you get 25 different answers so as of right now no automatic anything and as a matter of fact were trying to make the site cater to the users customising things like they want, not us :)

Thanks for the clarification. It still is a feature I would want, even from another piece of software. I know I am being lazy and should be able to work this out but I have other things to spend my precious time thinking about instead of wrapping my head around water chemistry calculations.

Cheers!

yeah I know what your talking about but it's really not that hard once you get a couple of good beers and basics down pat, in general you want the calcium high the hardness low, malty or hoppy or even and once you figure out how to set those, it's easy

Thanks for the clarification. It still is a feature I would want, even from another piece of software. I know I am being lazy and should be able to work this out but I have other things to spend my precious time thinking about instead of wrapping my head around water chemistry calculations.

Cheers!

The problem here is that this is not an empirically solvable problem, and there are (in general) infinite possible solutions, depending on what you stock. Which solution you choose depends on what you believe to be most important (i.e. you have to trade off being a little low in one category with being closer in another), and those are all highly preference based.

It's a no-win situation to try to automatically generate mineral additions from profiles, and they probably just shouldn't do it.

The problem here is that this is not an empirically solvable problem, and there are (in general) infinite possible solutions, depending on what you stock. Which solution you choose depends on what you believe to be most important (i.e. you have to trade off being a little low in one category with being closer in another), and those are all highly preference based.

It's a no-win situation to try to automatically generate mineral additions from profiles, and they probably just shouldn't do it.

Yes, this is my opinion as well. Adding salts automatically seems like a great idea- but you can get there many different ways (increase sodium by adding baking soda OR table salt, for example), and while the numbers may look correct for those additions then, your mash pH will be greatly impacted by choosing one vs the other and the software won't account for that. It's a no-win situation that way.

So, the steps for doing it may seem difficult, but they are not. First, ensure that your mash pH is in the correct range (this is far more important than adding salts), and then tweak your salts.

Think of brewing salts as "seasonings", like you would use for cooking. Not adding them isn't a big deal, but the beer will be more flavorful with them, just as table salt makes chicken soup less bland.

Get your mash pH in the correct range with acid if needed, or more rarely, alkali like baking soda, and then add your salts "to taste", or close to a profile if you choose. Remember that those listed profiles aren't necessarily ideal amounts, just one person's idea of a good amount of them.

Back