Table sugar...where art thou

vthokiedsp

Trial Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is table sugar (sucrose) not an option in the pull down menu in the recipe builder!? Seems odd. I had to swap out corn sugar for table sugar on the fly and want to update the recipe...but alas, it seems to not be an option.

Anyone from BF to comment? Update? Not a biggie as i have it in my notes but seems like an oversight.

table sugar is cane sugar

Hm....when I see cane, I think unrefined and coarse. Molecularly it's the same eh? Thanks. I figured it was something simple. I feel like it used to be labeled table before. Or maybe even just sucrose.

100% fermentability...I think it's @Nosybear who says that unless it's dark sugar, like Candi Syrup or amber Candi Sugar... then sugar is sugar.

100% fermentability...I think it's @Nosybear who says that unless it's dark sugar, like Candi Syrup or amber Candi Sugar... then sugar is sugar.
Table sugar is cane sugar is sucrose. The unrefined sugars are called out by name. Dark, unrefined sugars have varying amounts of sucrose so their fermentability is something less than 100%.

It should be noted that a fair percentage of refined sugar (table sugar) in the US is made from beets so it's possible that the source of any particular table sugar may not be sugar cane. Sugar beet production seems to be mostly in the west and upper mid west so in some areas of the country that may be the source of your locally produced table sugar. For brewing purposes, it's the same thing.

Calling it "refined sucrose" would be more accurate; unfortunately, most Americans wouldn't buy it, thinking it's some hazardous chemical like oxidane.

so its a definition not a name, table sugar came from the sugar cane and corn sugar came from corn plain and simple, we could add the name table sugar but then people would ask whats the difference

Reactions: J A
so its a definition not a name, table sugar came from the sugar cane and corn sugar came from corn plain and simple...
..and what is made from beets!? ;-)
(PS, here in europe is needless to say, all table sugar made from beets)

its the same ppg so it doesn't matter but if we want to spread sugar into 5 different names we could but it has to be requested

Reactions: J A
Fructose? Lactose? Dextrose? Glucose? Maltodextrin? Sucrose? Maltose? Not to mention the unrefined varieties of each ... I think we can lump some, makes it easier.

the word sugar is so well known and as long as the ppg is the same and it doesn't change the color, really no need to complicate things with exact terminology just make it simple, if not you get so may of questions its gets redundant answering

Just call it "granulated" sugar. Everybody knows what that is and every bag of sugar I've ever seen has that written on it. And it won't matter if it comes from beets or cane. I think anyone should be able to pick that out of a drop-down without any further ado. ;)

Just call it "granulated" sugar. Everybody knows what that is and every bag of sugar I've ever seen has that written on it. And it won't matter if it comes from beets or cane. I think anyone should be able to pick that out of a drop-down without any further ado. ;)
That should work.

Any white sugar is 46 ppg and 0 srm so origin won't make any difference. If it's really that important from a recipe standpoint, users can add it as a custom fermentable.

Now let's restart this discussion with the many grades of brown sugars, syrups, and honeys.

What if a rapper has sweet beats? Does that count?

It should just say table sugar since any source is the same gravity and color. And who reads the bag to see if its made from cane or beets or some other source? You just grab the one that says sugar.

To a rappers beat...

Back