Help with an APA recipe

I'd keep the cascade in there. It could help bring out the more grapefruit-y side of the chinook. I'm also partial to cascade though.

I intentionally added a little extra in a batch that was split between a wit and a hazy pale. I think it was just enough to register in the final flavor but I think it enhanced the flavor in both cases. The wit was made crisp and just ever so slightly tart and the juicy hops in the hazy pale pushed and supported. I'm not sure what it would take to register as tart in the average brew but I'm sure that Nola's 3% will be well below the threshold.
"Tart" is the interplay between sour (acid) and sweet (residual sugar and some esters). Acidity increases tartness, sweetness decreases it. Acid malt will increase acidity. I use it to control mash pH. As far as "souring," why not add food-grade lactic acid at packaging to taste? More control over the outcome that way. Or you could choose to use phosphoric acid. Or even tartaric - the acid used to adjust wine pH. Same effect as acid malt, more control.... Unless you're bound by the Reinheitsgebot, I'd add acid at packaging.

Reactions: J A
"Tart" is the interplay between sour (acid) and sweet (residual sugar and some esters). Acidity increases tartness, sweetness decreases it. Acid malt will increase acidity. I use it to control mash pH. As far as "souring," why not add food-grade lactic acid at packaging to taste? More control over the outcome that way. Or you could choose to use phosphoric acid. Or even tartaric - the acid used to adjust wine pH. Same effect as acid malt, more control.... Unless you're bound by the Reinheitsgebot, I'd add acid at packaging.
I read somewhere where people are adding acid at packaging. I've never did that. I'll have to find that article and re-read and review the process. Might be something i would like to try.

I’d dry hop with all Citra.

before going balls deep on Citra (on this recipe as suggested, or future recipes), i'd recommend confirming if you're a person that is sensitive to the "catty" (i.e. cat urine) aroma that can be dominant with citra. not everyone picks it up but speaking as someone that has a nose for it...just be cautious.

based on your recipe development, you are probably sophisticated enough to ignore my comment. :) people are going nuts over citra right now and for many, it's not a good thing.

Last edited:
before going balls deep on Citra (on this recipe as suggested, or future recipes), i'd recommend confirming if you're a person that is sensitive to the "catty" (i.e. cat urine) aroma that can be dominant with citra. not everyone picks it up but speaking as someone that has a nose for it...just be cautious.

based on your recipe development, you are probably sophisticated enough to ignore my comment. :) people are going nuts over citra right now and for many, it's not a good thing.

Dang...That is sad. All I smell is heaven when I smell a citra beer.

Dang...That is sad. All I smell is heaven when I smell a citra beer.

haha it is a bummer. i can tolerate the citra when it isn't the only hop and it's not a hop forward IPA. those two in combination really bother me. i mean, i'll still drink it obviously.

I dont get the cat piss smell but i do sometimes pick up onion. Last NEIPA i did had an oniony aroma that faded after about a week in the keg. A brewery i go to had a NEIPA that had the same oniony aroma. Not sure what hop year but i think my Citra hops i had were from 2016. I have some 2017 Citra that i havent used yet.

I use Citra a lot, it's usually blended with other hops, and rarely do they get catty. I figured since Chinook was used in the recipe, it could help the aroma/and flavor by reducing the Chinook and adding in a less dank hop. To me Chinook seems overly piney and dank.

Sometimes the pine aroma comes across to some people as catty.

I use Citra a lot, it's usually blended with other hops, and rarely do they get catty. I figured since Chinook was used in the recipe, it could help the aroma/and flavor by reducing the Chinook and adding in a less dank hop. To me Chinook seems overly piney and dank.

Sometimes the pine aroma comes across to some people as catty.

i dig citra in balance with other hops like you mention. the all citra beers is another story for me. i get the heavy pine with chinook as well. ginny. which is why i'm a vodka and bourbon guy.

Reactions: J A
Maybe I'll cut the Chinook out as a DH and add in Citra along with Cascade?
I like Citra as well, as long as it's not over the top and used in conjunction with other hops.

I have a pound of Chinook I need to use as well as some cascade. Citra I dont have a lot of and have two brews planned using Citra so I can only devout 2oz to this brew. Should be enough to do what i want.

Mosaic, Simcoe, Citra are at the top of my list. I like Cascade in conjunction with other hops, just not alone.

I have a pound of Chinook I need to use as well as some cascade. Citra I dont have a lot of and have two brews planned using Citra so I can only devout 2oz to this brew. Should be enough to do what i want.

Mosaic, Simcoe, Citra are at the top of my list. I like Cascade in conjunction with other hops, just not alone.

Cascade is a great hop. I am brewing a Cascade/Vic Secret combo tonight.

Cascade is a great hop. I am brewing a Cascade/Vic Secret combo tonight.
Never used Vic Secret. Similar to Galaxy but milder I think?
It's cheaper that Galaxy at the moment so may pick up some to try.

Never used Vic Secret. Similar to Galaxy but milder I think?
It's cheaper that Galaxy at the moment so may pick up some to try.

First time using it but have read it is a toned down Galaxy. Friend of mine tried that combo and raved about it.

Thinking about removing the crystal in the recipe and replacing with honey malt. Thoughts?
What about adding a small amount of Rye to the grain bill? I've only used Rye once and I over did it. Thinking about a few ounces just as an flavor enhancer or something.
Would adding Rye work with this grain bill?

40% 2Row
40% Pilsner
8% Munich 20L
2.5% Honey Malt
2.5% Rye
4% Victory
3% Acid Malt

Honey Malt is a Crystal-type malt...just a different name. It's different from C-20 in flavor because of process but similar color contribution and it does the same thing in a grist. I'm starting to use more Honey Malt but mostly sparingly. It definitely adds a more intense flavor than other light crystal malts.
Personally I'd skip the Rye in a beer like this but it may add just the note you're looking for. You might consider brewing without to see how everything balances and then add a little in the next batch to see how the extra bit of spice does.

I generally don't use more than 4 grains. Fewer the better IMO. I would skip the rye unless you have a specific reason for it.

Would also skip the honey malt unless you are wanting a little sweetness in your beer.

Back