An Observation on Beer Tasting

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I provided the homebrew for a party my friend throws every summer about this time. This is what qualifies as a "beer disposal event", our family name for a party where we reduce our inventory by taking stuff to people who aren't as sophisticated tasters as some (meant very kindly, no way would I ever serve someone a bad beer!). Anyway, as I was sitting there in the woods - the party was up in Conifer, CO - I noticed my beers tasted different. My process brain went to root cause analysis pretty much immediately. I'd loaded up the coolers and driven up there in about 45 minutes so the beer wasn't as cold as I normally drink it, straight from the lagering fridge which is at 33 degreee F on a warm day. Check. But even then, I'd put beers in the fridge late and had them here a bit warmer than normal. I was drinking out of plastic cups - neutral, no difference. But I was getting the "subtle" flavors that the tasters describe when talking about beers, so it had to be something....

Eventually I settled on a change of scenery. I was sitting, talking with friends, joking about. By not concentrating so hard on the flavors, I was picking up the flavors. I was answering questions about the beers, it was a gorgeous, if a bit warm, day in the mountains, and really, all I can think of to cause the difference in taste was the change of scenery.

Reactions: J A
thats the ultimate taste test test, worm the beer up and see what happens, you should taste slightly more flavor and notice off flavors at the same time

thats the ultimate taste test test, worm the beer up and see what happens, you should taste slightly more flavor and notice off flavors at the same time
Yep. But it wasn't really "more" flavor, it was more of the subtle flavors.

Worming your beer is likely to definitely have an impact though.

Worming your beer is likely to definitely have an impact though.
It does. But by the time I was noticing these things, the beer had chilled. I thought of another factor, though. I was largely serving out of 22 ounce bombers, not my usual 12-ounce bottles. May have had something to do with oxidation - less air introduced per ml of beer in the larger bottles.

May have to consider kegging.... At least some of my stuff.

Uhh... now I'm starting to wonder how you spell warm in America.

Just one of many articles relating to the effect of environment on perception of flavor, aroma, etc...
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/05/environment-has-profound-effect-on-taste/
I didn't read this one, but I've seen and discussed other articles describing very similar things.
I've actually been seeing it in several locations, many of them not directly involved with brewing and beer. Label, for example, has a profound impact on the taste of wine. I have to admit, it was rather amazing perceiving the effect in action.

Reactions: J A
This is my go to taste test, try to drink a Unchilled Kokanee/Miller.......then vomit.
Most Good craft beer or just good beer is still very drinkable Unchilled

Yesterday I provided the homebrew for a party my friend throws every summer about this time. This is what qualifies as a "beer disposal event", our family name for a party where we reduce our inventory by taking stuff to people who aren't as sophisticated tasters as some (meant very kindly, no way would I ever serve someone a bad beer!). Anyway, as I was sitting there in the woods - the party was up in Conifer, CO - I noticed my beers tasted different. My process brain went to root cause analysis pretty much immediately. I'd loaded up the coolers and driven up there in about 45 minutes so the beer wasn't as cold as I normally drink it, straight from the lagering fridge which is at 33 degreee F on a warm day. Check. But even then, I'd put beers in the fridge late and had them here a bit warmer than normal. I was drinking out of plastic cups - neutral, no difference. But I was getting the "subtle" flavors that the tasters describe when talking about beers, so it had to be something....

Eventually I settled on a change of scenery. I was sitting, talking with friends, joking about. By not concentrating so hard on the flavors, I was picking up the flavors. I was answering questions about the beers, it was a gorgeous, if a bit warm, day in the mountains, and really, all I can think of to cause the difference in taste was the change of scenery.
Dose a change in elevation have an effect on beer?
I recently traveled from BC to Quebec and had 6 one liter/quart bottles in our luggage, all to impress the outlaws (it did) but not the same as it was at home.

Dose a change in elevation have an effect on beer?
I recently traveled from BC to Quebec and had 6 one liter/quart bottles in our luggage, all to impress the outlaws (it did) but not the same as it was at home.
Definitely changes carbonation, as I'm discovering. I'm in Deer Park Texas, about 6,000' lower than home. It shouldn't have that much effect on flavor, though. I'm thinking it has to do with the bombers - 22 ounce bottles - more than anything else.

Definitely changes carbonation, as I'm discovering. I'm in Deer Park Texas, about 6,000' lower than home. It shouldn't have that much effect on flavor, though. I'm thinking it has to do with the bombers - 22 ounce bottles - more than anything else.

Used to have a lot of family along Spencer Hwy. So. Houston, Pasadena, Deer Park as far out as LaPorte. Spent lots of weekends around there pre-1980. The petroleum odor down there probably has a big effect on beer aroma :)

Used to have a lot of family along Spencer Hwy. So. Houston, Pasadena, Deer Park as far out as LaPorte. Spent lots of weekends around there pre-1980. The petroleum odor down there probably has a big effect on beer aroma :)
Small world - my wife used to live off Center Street, prior to that had an apartment on Spencer. Fortunately the wind is blowing the petro-stink away from Deer Park right now.

I'm thinking it has to do with the bombers - 22 ounce bottles - more than anything else.

this is my guess. when i decide to bottle, i bottle both 12's and 22's. even after months of conditioning, the beers are slightly different. i prefer the 22's for dark/black beers and favor the 12's for light beers (except for my hefeweizen).

Back