Cherries!

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just gave me 5-7lb of cherries, most are split/damaged but are good enough for brewing!

What should I make with them??

A Wee Heavy with cherries, cocoa and vanilla, all restrained of course, works well. I have a four year old version of that recipe that keeps getting better.

A buddy of mine just gave me 5-7lb of cherries, most are split/damaged but are good enough for brewing!

What should I make with them??

Chocolate cherry stout
cherry hefe
cherry saison
chocolate cherry porter
that wee heavy does sound tasty
difficult choice to throw into your brew schedule.

That amazing Wit tang, with some cherries....oh hell yeah

They don't finish out sweet, so a wit might not be a good idea. Something with some residual sweetness or that will support some lactose....

I vote for nosy bear's idea. A wee heavy would pair well with cherries and chocolate.

That or the stout idea. A milk stout with chocolate and cherries.

Sierra Nevada did a Trip in the Woods barrel aged Chocolate cherry stout a couple of years ago. That was a good one. Maybe put some bourbon soaked oak chips in the fermenter. Get vanilla and whiskey flavors.

They don't finish out sweet, so a wit might not be a good idea.
Copy that...I have a Mango Wit on tap right now that could probably stand a little more sweetness. I also added a little extra acidulated malt in the grist and that's keeping it a little on the dry, tart side as well. I used frozen mango chunks because it was quick and easy and the result is quite nice, but I'm considering throwing a can of Mango Nectar into the keg for serving. I will say, though that for a light summer beer that fruit flavor and very clean finish is pretty nice and there's good malty sweetness in the balance.

If you go with a drier beer, consider some vanilla to enhance what sweetness is there.

Back