Long ferment

ChicoBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I did up a NEIPA from a kit I got on NB called Fruit Bazooka. This is my first NEIPA so I figured I'd just get a kit so I don't need to think about it too much. Brew day was May 25 and I pitched yeast that day. The yeast is something I never used before White Labs WLP644 Saccharomyces Bruxellensis Troi. I am fermenting warm per the instruction outside of my temp controlled freezer at around 74.

I added the first dry hop on 6/2 thinking the fermentation had stopped. The hops all stayed at the top because gas was still coming to the top. I made a habit of swirling it after work every day to get the hops mixed in.

I got samples with the wine thief

OG on brew day 5/25 - 1.054
Move to secondary on 6/2 - 1.016
first dry hop 6/8 - 1.012
curiosity 6/12 - 1.011
curiosity 6/17 - 1.010
second dry hop 6/26 - 1.006

I have not seen a fermentation go this long. I have been worried that wild yeast is the culprit but the wort tastes good and sweet and delicious.

I think I'm suffering from lack of patience but I'm wondering if this is something about the yeast or something else.

I oxygenate my wort with a stirring stick attached to a drill (kinda like a paint mixer) that is used to degas wine.

Scott

Last edited:
You mean NEIPA or is NEPA -New England-Pale-Ale a thing too? that should be a fairly quick turn around beer i recon being hop focused so i think its weird to have a wild yeast blend coupled with this brew kit. But obviously its a tried and tested kit all ive Read (not personally tried) about wild yeast is they take their merry time fermenting out the beer.

NEIPA. I hope it gets done soon. I want to drink it.

Doesn't look unreasonable to me. When I mash low and long, I get a highly fermentable wort that can chug along for 4+ weeks easy. Plus, I tend to ferment my ales a tad cooler. Not sure your mash schedule and I have no experience with that yeast, but it sounds fine to me.

Thanks everyone - Waiting patiently. Glad I have a Pale Ale ready to keg this weekend. My Kegerator be empty.

MASH INGREDIENTS

10.5 lbs Rahr Premium Pilsner Malt
1.5 lbs Flaked Oats
1.5 lbs Rahr White Wheat Malt

HOP ADDITIONS & TIMES
· 1 oz Azacca (20 min hop stand)
· 1 oz Citra (20 min hop stand)
· 1 oz Ekuanot (20 min hop stand)
· 1 oz Mosaic (20 min hop stand)
DRY HOPS
· 1 oz Ekuanot, 1 oz Mosaic (Dry hop #1)
· 1 oz Ekuanot, 1 oz Citra (Dry hop #2)

YEAST Liquid Yeast Options: · Omega OYL - 200 Tropical IPA. Optimum temp: 75°- 85°F · White Labs WLP644 Saccharomyces Bruxellensis Trois. Optimum temp: 70°- 85°F

That does seem odd to have a ne ipa with brux trois yeast. But I guess they are going with the hop combo interplaying with the unusual yeast character. Could be good, definitely a bit different. But that yeast can take a while. Patience should reward you.

^^^Seems to be a thing that some brewers are trying out. One of the guys in my club has used it. Not sure what the results are but juicy, fruity, funky all goes well together. :)

Me? Uh, no. Funk and bitter aren't complementary tastes to my palate. But that's just me!

Well at 1.006 It can't have long to go I think. I'll let it go until next Saturday and take another sample. Meanwhile I have a nice Pale Ale ready to go into the keg today. Ozarks SNPA Clone.

Back