Results of Gelatin Fining

N0mad

Trial Member
Reaction score
This is a Blue Moon Clone made with fresh orange zest... two weeks in the primary then racked to a secondary to get rid of some trub... thought I would try the gelatin method and look what happend.

The first pic is two days into the cold crash... the second pic is 12 hours after adding gelatin...

1/2 teaspoon dried gelatin 1/4 cup water... I let the dried gelatin sit in cold water for several hours to bloom then heated it to 160° and cooled it before adding to the beer.

IMG-1866.JPG

IMG-1869.JPG

Last edited:
B...b...but...wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy!
Save your gelatin for a quick lager! :D :D :D

I agree with JA and will only add if you want a polished homebrew, fine it and gelatin works wonders, is cheap and easy.

Well this is only my fourth brew... I do appreciate the feedback... couldn't resist the temptation to experiment I guess... I just pulled a sample with my wine thief it is not as clear as one might think... but not cloudy... but the taste is spot on... hopefully I'll get to carb this up in a day or two when I get time

Well this is only my fourth brew... I do appreciate the feedback... couldn't resist the temptation to experiment I guess... I just pulled a sample with my wine thief it is not as clear as one might think... but not cloudy... but the taste is spot on... hopefully I'll get to carb this up in a day or two when I get time
It takes it about 48 hours to clear.

Gelatin only takes care of particulate proteins. starches and, mostly, yeast...proteins and starches in solution, as one might find in wheat beers may precipitate when the beer is particularly cold - chill haze. Wheat beer yeasts are not very flocculant either and so may never clear quite as much as some strains.
Do the same thing with a high-floc'ing English yeast or American Ale strain and you'll see pretty much dead clear very quickly with gelatin.

1/2 teaspoon dried gelatin 1/4 cup water... I let the dried gelatin sit in cold water for several hours to bloom then heated it to 160° and cooled it before adding to the beer.
The other method that works really good is to boil the water first (1 cup), then remove from heat and add your gelatin. No "blooming " or soaking required. My dose is usually 1- 1.5 teaspoons of gelatin per 5 gallons. Clears really fast, 1-3 days and despite the claims it doesn't strip the beer. Boiling the water removes oxygen and sanitizes the water. It also is faster and easier.

There is a style of wheat that is crystal clear, Kristall Weiss. It's not common here, but it is available in Germany.

I use about a half cup of water with 1/3 of a knox packet and microwave it for 30-45 seconds. Then dump it in.

thats what I do too, I use distilled water and give it a swirl with a spoon then degas

For the record, kristalweizen is generally filtered.
True, that's what big breweries typical do to remove yeast. But you can use gelatin to clear the beer and if you want the beer to be polished, you can treat with PVPP after the gelatin. Crystal clear beer and no filtering. Filtering on a homebrew level is a PITA anyway.

Back