not enough dry lager yeast - need help while im brewing

Benman

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
brewing right now my first lager, I made a mistake with the dry yeast.
im using - Saflager s23 and i bought only one pack (11.5g) for 2.5 gallon - not enough
anything i can do now when i'm already brewing?
the only lager yeast i have in the house is Mangrove Jack M54 California Lager (40% of a pack) - will it work to mix?
im brewing a Czech Pils and the California Lager is for sure not the perfect choice

thank you

did someone add more yeast the next day?

Yep no problem with that ;) sprinkle in more tomorrow. Some yeast is better than none will tie you over till the shop opens.

Yep no problem with that ;) sprinkle in more tomorrow. Some yeast is better than none will tie you over till the shop opens.
Thank you so much for the quick reply!
i will use the bag i have when the wort will chill and add a second one tomorrow

im using - Saflager s23 and i bought only one pack (11.5g) for 2.5 gallon - not enough
What gave you the idea that it wasn't enough?...by any measure 11 grams in 2.5 gallons is enough if not a total overpitch. Absolutely leave it alone and let it do it's thing. I use 1 packet of S-23 routinely in 5.5 gallon batches and have perfect success.

According to the directions on the pack if you ferment in cold temp you need more yeast. So checked with the B&F software and found that I need 80 million more

The software defaults to 10b cells but the real count is pretty universally accepted to be closer to 20b. You can pile as much yeast in as you want but it's not needed and it won't make your beer better. S-23 is extremely reliable from low 50s to high 60s and will make clean beer for you at that pitch rate.
Much more important is to make sure the wort is properly oxygenated, preferably with O2 injection rather than just shaking, but that will do depending on your fermenter volume and headspace at the start. Also, rehydrating the yeast will make a big difference rather than just sprinkling onto the wort.
Just give it a good start, keep the temp constant, don't hold too long at low temp before rising to 68F for Diacetyl rest and keep things really clean. It'll be good beer. :)

J A, thank you for your notes, Its my first lager and I got confused by what's written on the S23 pack and the SW
I use a 3gallon glass carboy for the 2.5 g wort and keep it very clean, it is easy in the kitchen...
I thought I was very prepared for the first one, but I guess o have a lot more to learn
Thanks again

but I guess o have a lot more to learn
Being obsessive and eager is not a bad quality! :)
What we all have had to learn in the early stages and accept as fact is that beer has been made for centuries without the wonderful technological tools we have at our disposal. The natural world will take care of things if we stay out of the way. It's a great thing that we have so much information available to us, but we have to be careful and not mistake watchful monitoring for perfect control.
Relax a little...you'll have beer shortly. ;)

Back