Witbier grist - full starch conversion?

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm running a mash right now for a (mostly) traditional wit. Grist has Pilsner, malted wheat plus about 10% unmalted wheat and about 5% oats. After a long (no, really...lonnnng) conversion rest I'm still reading starches from iodine test.
so...
Rely on gravity readings for conversion and leave the starch for haze?
Keep mashing just for the hell of it?

My mash is reading 1.075 on the refract... There's plenty of fermentables in there, I think. :)

how long are we talking Ive mashed for 2 hours before
Right at 2 hours. ;)
I feel like I was a younger man when I started this brew day...just got done pitching about 20 minutes ago. Got good efficiency in the end, though. We'll see if it makes a beer. :)

I would guess that after 75-90 minutes at a decent saccrification temperature rest that you'd get no further conversion. But that's just my guess.
I don't know why your iodine test would still be showing starch though. Unless you milled so fine that you had flour/grain particles in the sample.

Reactions: J A
I think the longest I've left a mash was 4 hours because something came up and I had to drive away.

I would guess that after 75-90 minutes at a decent saccrification temperature rest that you'd get no further conversion. But that's just my guess.
I don't know why your iodine test would still be showing starch though. Unless you milled so fine that you had flour/grain particles in the sample.
I don't see the recipe information - if the recipe had too much unmalted grain, it might not convert, either, leaving a suspension of starches and no enzymes. I'd agree with Yooper - even mashing at 144 degrees, a 90-minute mash just about uses up all the enzymes.

Reactions: J A

Back