Silence is Golden... or is it

N0mad

Trial Member
Reaction score
Had my first Duvel Belgian Golden Ale tonight at dinner... I actually purchased it a week or so ago as a single just to try it... I didn't really start drinking beer until December 2017 and I'm no spring chicken if you catch my drift... I would have a Blue Moon now and again but didn't realize the diversity beer had to offer.

Now days I go to to the local T**** Wine and More every week and get a few singles of something I've never had looking for that Holy Grail of beers... I had my first sour beer last week! my first sip I thought... uhm... I'll never buy this again... but by the time I finished it I really liked it.

Couple of weeks ago I had a New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA It was a very tasty grapefruit like IPA and I don't really care for IPA's all that much... now their Abby and Fat Tire Belgian White are really good as well; I have a Lindemans Lambic in the fridge I'm going to try next when I get to it.

What I've discovered is that I like up front malty beers with some complexity I'm on my second six pack of "Paulaner’s Salvator" double bock this beer as it warms in your hand changes and becomes more mellow like toasty home made all grain bread with honey on it.

Oh back to the reason your reading this... I didn't know what to expect from the Duvel I had read about it what I found was like an aha moment... all things zymurgy are clear to me now and when the harps and angels singing over me faded away I now realize that my quest for the holy grail has purpose and I must continue.

-- Mark

Last edited:
That's above my pay grade... need more time in the saddle before I attempt that feat... but holy cow that was an amazing beer! $5 for a single my expectations were high...

That's above my pay grade... need more time in the saddle before I attempt that feat... but holy cow that was an amazing beer! $5 for a single my expectations were high...

Just would like to point out you are heading in the right direction. Single samples are a great way to view the spectrum of beer. When you do settle into the kind of beers you like as Trialben pointed out you can make it , and beers that are close to the same profile. HOWEVER, you have the opportunity to add a touch of malty or hoppy or even funk as in a Saison or sour or farmhouse style. On the other hand lots of places sell kits that make great beers of all styles and you just need to follow directions. Welcome to beering. You can dive as deep as you want. By the way when you think you have tried them all, new flavors will pop up.

What I've discovered is that I like up front malty beers with some complexity I'm on my second six pack of "Paulaner’s Salvator" double bock this beer as it warms in your hand changes and becomes more mellow like toasty home made all grain bread with honey on it.
Mmmm, practically my go-to winter bock. :)
You mentioned in another thread Erdinger. If you happen to find it, their Pikantus is very good!

Back