Best Malz Red X

The Brew Mentor

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have a bag of this and want to use it Saturday 5/5 for a big brew day brew.
I haven't used this before but have read all the descriptors on it.
I'm thinking a 6% IPA at about 60 IBU's.
Has anyone used this before and if so, what are your personal thoughts on the profile?
Thanks Brian

Thinking:https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/646638/xxx-a-dirty-red

I've used it, its red for sure and slightly sweet but fine, I used it 50/50 with 2 row and really liked the beer

What's the purpose of the other 6 malts? Red X is intended as a single fermentable and already contains melanoidin

I have tried it in a red IPA. It will have a nice color fo sure and my experience a bit malty. I would toss the dextrin malt. Check your DP. If low you may want to increase the mash time a little. Cheers :)

What's the purpose of the other 6 malts? Red X is intended as a single fermentable and already contains melanoidin

The other malts are there to fill out the batch.
2 row for additional diastatic power and neutral gravity points. Carapils as a body builder. Flaked Wheat for a thick, creamy head. The 2 dark malts are both for color and a little toasted dryness.

I have read that Red-x is a blend of Munich, Melanoidin and Cara. Hence the malty finish. I was doing similar as you with the additional malts. It was just heavier than I wanted so I switched the red-x for a much smaller amount of melanoidin and lots of 2-row.

40L? C ya. Adding a sweetness component, along with 154 mash temp and plenty of Mosaic, will lend to a cloying finish. I think the Red IPA needs balance ahead of perceived redness. No cold side hope addition? Interesting, I like it. Please keep the thread going on this one with any changes or results.

I have a bag of this and want to use it Saturday 5/5 for a big brew day brew.
I haven't used this before but have read all the descriptors on it.
I'm thinking a 6% IPA at about 60 IBU's.
Has anyone used this before and if so, what are your personal thoughts on the profile?
Thanks Brian

Thinking:https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/646638/xxx-a-dirty-red

Good luck with the brew today! With a malty red you might need more late hops to be more "IPAish" but should be tasty as is.

Might be a little low on hops for an ipa but then you'll have a good red ale anyway.
Haven't used red x yet but my next beer is going to be a red x lager.

I was going to do a red x SMaSH. But it would be like a Munich single malt with a nice red color. Not what we are into lately. I’m no expert brewer, but I would include corn or cane sugar and mash in the upper 140s if doing a red x ipa again.

Well, Big Brew Day went great!
This was the inaugural batch on my new system and there are still some things that need to be worked out.
We mashed in and we're a few degrees too hot, so we added a bit of cold water to bring it down.
The sparge water took longer to heat than expected, so we mashed for 90 minutes before starting our fly sparge.
The sparge and boil went great.
The ending volume was spot on and the OG was1.062 for about 80% eff to the fermentor.
Color looked great.
Pitched @ 65° with 3rd Gen Chico.
And now we wait...
Here are some pics of the day.
https://www.facebook.com/events/162142657795116/permalink/165766517432730/
Hopefully the link works as I'm not sure how to post pictures here.
Cheers!
Brian

Might be a little low on hops for an ipa but then you'll have a good red ale anyway.
Haven't used red x yet but my next beer is going to be a red x lager.
I plan on dry hopping too, I just didn't add it to the recipe yet.
12oz. at krausen drop, about day 3

I plan on dry hopping too, I just didn't add it to the recipe yet.
12oz. at krausen drop, about day 3
Ok. Sounds good. Should still be malty but a red ipa should be maltier than a normal ipa. Should be a good beer.

I have read that Red-x is a blend of Munich, Melanoidin and Cara. Hence the malty finish. I was doing similar as you with the additional malts. It was just heavier than I wanted so I switched the red-x for a much smaller amount of melanoidin and lots of 2-row.

I emailed Best about this malt and they denied it was a blend but I agree that it tastes similar to that blend. Cargill is soon to release their version of this malt.

I don't think its a blend. At least from what I've heard. Although having Cargill do a version just helps everyone.... More malts are always good

Back