Set IBUs for hop additions?

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Similar to the new feature for the grain bill, can we do something with the hops where we can set a certain IBU addition and the aa% and it would auto calculate the amount to add?
I've seen a few recipes use those instead. And it would help if I want to rebrew a recipe, but the aa% has changed

I would use such a feature. Default hop AA% in the editor is almost always different from the package. I have to adjust amounts in every snapshot to match the intent of the original recipe. Likewise if I have to use a substitute and it's an 8% instead of a 6%.

Exactly what I was thinking, thanks for saying it more clearly :)

So you're saying that you'd put in "50 IBUs" for the first addition, and have it calculate? And then "12 IBUs" for the second, etc? I'm trying to understand what you're visualizing here.

Exactly. So instead of us putting in the weight and AA and the software calculating the IBU, we'd put in the IBU and AA and it would calculate the weight.
Not sure how the UI would be, but I think something like the new OG / % feature for the grain bill might work?

Exactly. So instead of us putting in the weight and AA and the software calculating the IBU, we'd put in the IBU and AA and it would calculate the weight.
Not sure how the UI would be, but I think something like the new OG / % feature for the grain bill might work?

Ok, I understand what you're saying. Thanks for explaining it more thoroughly. Let me stew on this for a bit and I'm sure I'll ask more questions as they come up, and then bring it to the developers.

Thanks for the suggestion- I love new ideas!

Back