Time to dump this batch?

jay3847

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am brewing a dunkelweiss for the first time using the fast ferment method. Everything looks pretty good but seemed fast. Started fermentation at 62, and at 2 days was ready to start raising, but fermentation had already peaked and was starting to subside. Tested gravity at 4 days and things were pretty good and had hit final gravity. At 7 days, it is a acetaldehide bomb. Ouch!

I need a batch ready in a month and a half. Is it worth keeping it at 68/70 for a couple weeks and hope the yeast finish up? Or is it time to dump it?

Here's the recipe etc....

3.5 gallon batch

5 lbs canadian pale wheat
2.5 lbs munich light
7oz caramunich
2oz carafa II

90 minute boil, 60 minute .75oz Hallertau addition

WLP300 w/ a 2 liter starter
1.5 min oxygen

Try letting it clean itself up for a day or so before dumping it.

That's seems like a lot of oxygen for that beer. Of course that depends on things like flow rate and bubble size etc

That's seems like a lot of oxygen for that beer. Of course that depends on things like flow rate and bubble size etc
I made the bubbles smaller this time. Just the third time I have oxygenated.
Thought I'd give it at least a week, but some talk about giving it 21 days. That's why I asked.

Give it time, I have a saison that is tasting... off. I'm going to give it 2 weeks and see what happens.

cant hurt to wait eh. acetelaldehyde dont dissipate with high temp? raise her up if so...

Rouse the yeast, then move it to another vessel and warm it up for a week. Avoid splashing and light.
At this point you have green beer that may or may not clean up, but it's to early to tell.
If you start another beer, you could Krausen it and add it to the green 1.
Good Luck
Brian

I'm going to give it a week of rest, and if no improvement then I'll go the krausen route. What the hell! If it doesn't fix the problem, then at least I learn something.

Also, as I taste others of my beer, I think I have had this problem for a while by keeping temps too low for too long. I'll monitor fermentation more closely on the next batch.

Very likely that 7 days just isn't nearly enough time to clean up the acetaldehyde. As long as there's any yeast activity it should eventually go away, though. Definitely wait it out. Three weeks isn't out of bounds, though you'd think a Hefe could be done much sooner.
Rouse and krausen and let it ride. You might come out with a pretty decent beer.

WLP300 w/ a 2 liter starter
1.5 min oxygen

I had this happen to a batch that I over pitched, which you may have done with a 2 liter starter for a 3.5 gal batch, I was told on another forum that over pitching results in too fast fermentation in weizens and can lead to off flavors/smells.
i ended up dumping mine after 2 weeks of waiting for it to 'get better'

Under pitching is normally recommended for wheat beers. At least on the sites that deal mostly/only with german brews.

.. over pitching results in too fast fermentation in weizens and can lead to off flavors/smells.

Everything you read in the forums and blog posts says you can hardly go wrong overpitching. That sounds exactly like what happened.

i shall take this onboard for my upcomming wheat not to get to gernerous with the pitch rate.

....... At least on the sites that deal mostly/only with german brews.

Which sites are you looking at @Medarius ? I want to read more so I don't make other mistakes on the next brew. I was following a BYO recipe this time.

Which sites are you looking at @Medarius ? I want to read more so I don't make other mistakes on the next brew. I was following a BYO recipe this time.

Brulosophy & germanbrewing.net & braukaiser.com are the ones i have bookmarked. Can't remember other right off, think it was all in german anyways

Still super green apple. I'm going to punt for my daughter's sake. Please comment on the recipe I post with your thoughts.

Still super green apple. I'm going to punt for my daughter's sake. Please comment on the recipe I post with your thoughts.
Unfortunately, unless you have live yeast in the mix, acetaldehyde won't reduce. You're stuck with Jolly Rancher beer. Sorry.

Back