First Proper Use of Recipe Builder

Vesparados

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My first two original recipes were haphazard at best and improved from "not horrible" to "not so bad". THIS time I used the recipe builder tool. Just tasted the Cannonball keg. We have move up to "good". I cheated in that we tried the recent offering from Sam Adams Everyday IPA. They list their grain and hops, but obviously not ratios nor techniques. I used their ingredients and my limited intuition. The spouse and I like it. It's not close to the Sam Everyday, but a completely different animal. Thanks for the awesome tools.

Cheers!
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/627204/vesparados-everyday-ipa

My only advice would be to not waste those incredible aroma/flavor hops in early additions. Bitter with something basic like Magnum or Warrior and start those Simcoe and Mosaic additions at 20 minutes or so for more complex hop flavor. My stand-by hop combo is Simcoe, Centennial (or Cascade) and Mosaic in mostly late additions.
Brew on! :)

^ as he said im tasting more bitterness than flavour and aroma in hops (imagination).
move em forward and ise Magnum as bitterness;).

I cheated in that we tried the recent offering from Sam Adams Everyday IPA. They list their grain and hops, but obviously not ratios nor techniques. I used their ingredients and my limited intuition
That's not cheating...it's exactly what you should be doing. :)
Too many new brewers seem to think that coming up with a recipe is a matter of just choosing some ingredients. If you're doing a lot of research into style-appropriate ingredients and doing everything you can to find good beers that you can analyze and emulate, you're just shooting in the dark and are more likely to end up with beers that are just okay, at best.
And there seems to be an idea that "copying" a recipe makes the beer less one's own. The truth is that starting with a well-established, proven malt bill and hop schedule is the best way to improve quickly. The ingredients are really just the start. The brewing process is what should be the focus and dialling in one's system and procedure will yield better beer much more quickly than "designing" a good recipe.

Looks good. Grain bill is classic simple American pale ale grain bill. Cascades for late hop adds is a standard for the style also. I can see why this one was where it went from not bad to good.
Like the other posts said starting from someone else's beer isn't a bad thing. If you take what you know about the Sam Adams ipa and put a recipe together you will learn a lot about what the different grains were in there for and how much to use. Then when you do create a new recipe from scratch you know what worked and can figure out amounts to add easier than just guessing.

Back