What the hell am I looking at?

Hawkbox

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look like mold but I've never seen bubbling like this after 8 days in the primary.

y7EAIrC.png

It could still be fermenting - nothing sacred about seven days - but my guess is you're losing CO2 from solution, most likely through warming. It'll let some yeast rise to the top as well. Take a couple of gravity readings, doesn't matter which instrument you use, and if it's stable over three days, it's done and the bubbles are just escaping gas.

Fair enough, I suspect I'm busy second guessing myself.

Yeah I just pulled another sample and that weird tart flavour I was worried about 3 days ago is nowhere to be found. I think I'm seriously over thinking this.

They might have, it's the saison the group did I posted in the recipe review. I'll have to go look again.

If it's a Saison yeast, it's just re-krausening after a lull. Lots of Belgian and Saison yeasts are notable for stopping and starting. They're also extremely good at keeping other organisms out-competed. :)
It could take as long as 2 weeks to attenuate fully and it could go very low. Don't rush it. You'll have great beer from it.

Don't rush a Saison , I had one I thought finished at 1.004 but life got in the way and a week later when I checked again it was at 0.999 so I was lucky I didn't bottle .
8.2 % abv super funky, spicy rye Saison !

Reactions: J A
Yeah I just pulled another sample and that weird tart flavour I was worried about 3 days ago is nowhere to be found. I think I'm seriously over thinking this.

I've seen that type of foam on top a few times and never saw a problem with it. Since you posted a pic of a Fermonster. Have you had any problems with the lid sealing? I was sloshing around before pitching and wort was dripping around the lid. Last few batches only had air lock activity during the most active fermentation, so I have suspected a poor seal, but the O ring looks good.

I can't get a good seal with the lid, so I basically treat it like a brew bucket instead of a carboy.

It is a WLP566 yeast and I took a sample again last night, it was around 1.012 which is only .004 down from 3 days ago but the flavour was considerably better. That tartness seems to have faded. I'll just let it buck for a few more days and check it again.

I really like the fermonster for cleaning but I feel like I might be better off saving up for one of those Anvil steel buckets if I'm not going to have a hard seal anyway.

That "tartness" was likely suspended yeast. The actual yeast. Either that, or some acid the yeast metabolized. It would take a lot of lactic acid for the flavor to become evident.

I need to get better at identifying off flavours.

I need to get better at identifying off flavours.
there was a class at the LHBS a while back where we spiked samples of a Coors Light with different off flavors. really helped to put the taste with the term.
although, in a real beer, there'd probably be a few different things going on, so it might not be as clear cut like with the samples.
there's also different kits you can buy to do it at home, i think they're around $30-40 US, but forget the company's name

I can't get a good seal with the lid, so I basically treat it like a brew bucket instead of a carboy.

Pretty much what I've been doing. Don't really care if it seals. Just curious if it would be worthwhile to get another O ring. Guessing that wouldn't solve the built-in problem. Thanks!

Pretty much what I've been doing. Don't really care if it seals. Just curious if it would be worthwhile to get another O ring. Guessing that wouldn't solve the built-in problem. Thanks!
I have three Fermonsters that I use regularly. Two seal every time but the third one has been hit or miss. I think the lid on that one might be slightly warped so I doubt a new O ring would help. Though, the problem seems to be happening less frequently the more I use that fermentor. The last two times I used it the seal held.

Interesting. I have 3 regular PET carboys and a fermonster so it's not the end of the world but I would like the watch the airlock burble.

The book usually is.

Back