Tabasco- and worcester sauce in mead

strogermead

Trial Member
Reaction score
Will tabasco- and worcester sauce in mead make it go bad? Some say the vinager in the sauces can have a negative effect. I'm making a 1 gallon batch, adding tomato juice and the sauces after fermentation (yes, a bloody mary mead :) )

Aside from the "just because you can doesn't mean you should" factor, you may have a problem if you're using the ones that have been open in the refrigerator for a while, bacteria. Mead doesn't have hops to provide antibacterial properties so you may be introducing all kinds of nasties that will make your mead taste much worse than the tomato juice, tabasco and worcester sauce by themselves. Find a way to sanitize or use a fresh bottle of each with the spouts sanitized and you shouldn't have to worry about infection. No promises on the rest of the flavors....

Actually I admire the effort. I never imagined those flavors in mead. Tomato juice adds a bit of sugar so take that into account.

Actually I admire the effort. I never imagined those flavors in mead. Tomato juice adds a bit of sugar so take that into account.

I'm at the moment fermenting a (coarsely ground) black pepper mead. I plan to let it ferment completely out, to 18 %, and add a bit more honey to back sweeten, to 1.010. Adding the rest when pouring. Hoping and praying it will give me joy (or perhaps a joyfull headache or two).

Attachments

• 20180421_bloody2.jpg
    20180421_bloody2.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 228
I'd just add all of them at serving time. That way you don't need to worry about infection or a just plain nasty mead. If you don't like the first one you mix the remainder is mead.

I'd just add all of them at serving time. That way you don't need to worry about infection or a just plain nasty mead. If you don't like the first one you mix the remainder is mead.
Yep. Best plan I can think of.

I doubt the sauces will give your mead an infection. The vinegar is going to kill anything. Tobasco also has salt which has preservative properties, and Tobasco sauce doesn't go bad, meaning there's nothing spoiling it. I say go for it. Maybe try mixing a mead bloody Mary first just to make sure it tastes good before committing to a whole batch. But if you like it make the whole batch.

Yeah, I think I'd pour the mead, add all the stuff to the glass... and then pour it in the sink, rinse the glass and use it to make a proper bloody Mary and pour a glass of good beer to enjoy on the side. :D :D :D :D :D

Will tabasco- and worcester sauce in mead make it go bad? Some say the vinager in the sauces can have a negative effect. I'm making a 1 gallon batch, adding tomato juice and the sauces after fermentation (yes, a bloody mary mead :) )
Wow definitely outside the box. It could work but just food for thought, if you ferment table sugar and then put your flavors in it you could save some money on honey and with this type of flavors you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Back