Banana juice

how many bannanas you use? that.pic looks backwrds the cake is ontop of the liquid right? maybe the solids will settle eventually like a krausen...

About 10 bananas... yeah it's sitting on top of the liquid. Looks like a very spongy cake.

Edit: I just poured the bottle out, through the cake, and it worked pretty well. A relatively clear liquid came out, clocks in at 1.028. The cake stuff came out easy enough after. Cleaned the bottle, put the fluid back in with a bit more yeast. That's a lot of back and forth for a brew, but hey, it's an experiment!

Last edited:
About 10 bananas... yeah it's sitting on top of the liquid. Looks like a very spongy cake.

Edit: I just poured the bottle out, through the cake, and it worked pretty well. A relatively clear liquid came out, clocks in at 1.028. The cake stuff came out easy enough after. Cleaned the bottle, put the fluid back in with a bit more yeast. That's a lot of back and forth for a brew, but hey, it's an experiment!
Please keep us posted Ashara

The fluid is krausening, so far so good.

Considering what my next steps might be. Definitely put the bananas through the blender instead of just mushing with a spoon;). Perhaps microwave them a bit. Maybe let the mush rest and see if it splits by itself? I'd certainly rather not go through the whole straining strain again.

The fluid is krausening, so far so good.

Considering what my next steps might be. Definitely put the bananas through the blender instead of just mushing with a spoon;). Perhaps microwave them a bit. Maybe let the mush rest and see if it splits by itself? I'd certainly rather not go through the whole straining strain again.
Maybe put the whole lot into a cheesecloth and suspend over a pot

2 weeks later, there seems to be next to no activity in there.
Pic is from 2 days ago, you may be able to tell there's some stuff hanging from the surface. There was also a bit of this and that convecting around. I gave the bottle a few nudges, now it seems pretty settled.
I'll rack it out and give it a try soon. Not expecting much, but curious, and I have my next batch of fruit ripening ^^

Attachments

• bana-later.jpg
    bana-later.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 106
Turns out the racking cane doesn't fit the bottle:rolleyes:
I got a clear, slightly milky liquid that smells kind of like apple cider with a hint of banana and tastes quite tart, with a hint of banana.
I had enough for a grand total of 2 small bottles. It's 3.8% ABV... I shall try to forget about it and let it condition for a while.

For the record, I tried again steeping the bananas at a higher temperature, in the 66°C range, but didn't get any better results.
I might try another method which consists of microwaving the bananas, potentially after freezing them.
And next time I order brewing supplies I'll try to get some amylase for an extra enzymatic boost in the steeping method.

I might also seek some promising-looking grass for the kneading method, I'm just worried about making foxpiss cider rather than banana cider.

Back