Batch sparging

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
All things being equal, is it better to split the sparge water in half to rinse the grain twice, or is one rinse sufficient or even more effective ?

if you have enough water twice is better, if your talking about dunk sparging

I batch sparge with one pass for large batches and no sparge for 5 gallon batches personally. You'll get a little bit of extra efficiency washing the grain more but it's not worth the additional effort for me.

I batch sparge with one pass for large batches and no sparge for 5 gallon batches personally. You'll get a little bit of extra efficiency washing the grain more but it's not worth the additional effort for me.
Agreed, consistency in efficiency, whether your at 70% or 85% is what’s important. Otherwise you can’t consistently make the same fermentable sugars and flavors.

I guess it just depends on if you want to use more grain or save money, you can certainly use more grain to achieve the alcohol you want, Ive done it but if you want the most out of your investment you do whats necessary

All things being equal, is it better to split the sparge water in half to rinse the grain twice, or is one rinse sufficient or even more effective ?
Not worth the time, IMHO. I hit or exceed my numbers using a single rinse. Use this statement for comparison, actual mileage may vary. Rinsing twice is getting into the potential tannin extraction range so I avoid it.

I fly sparge and exceed 90% efficiency so yes it matters, you just have to want to save

ive never herd of double sparging?
well well well surely one pass through the grainbed and youve done quite alot of rinsing to hit your target pre boil a second pass for an added point or two and more volume the way i see it.
its all horses for courses whatever gets you there.

my method KISS;).

I have double sparged in the past, but don't recall seeing any measurable difference in efficiency. I currently do full volume BIAB in the warmer months and batch sparge in the cooler months and see little or no difference. After this Summer I'm going to no sparge with a brew bag in my MLT and expect similar results. As has been stated in earlier responses, consistency is more important than efficiency when brewing smaller batches. I brew 5.5 gallon batches and a few points in efficiency may cost a pound of base malt. I don't see trading much of my time for less than a buck, and the value of my time has been seriously discounted since retirement.

As a side note, I believe that if you are efficient in whatever method you choose you'll see reasonable mash and brewhouse efficiency.

I sometimes do 2 batch sparges. My RIMS system sometimes requires it for bigger beers. JUST watch your ph and don't rinse under 1.020. Kind of same rules as fly sparges. The efficiency is better but as pointed out only a buck or 2 savings.

I'm assuming conversion.... I do a simple batch sparge and average about 80%. That's a couple ounces of grain to make up the difference, not worth the time or trouble to me.

brew house, my beers are always higher than my recipes , I have my system down, the only thing I'm bad at is waste, I designed it that way for clear beer but now its time to go back and start retuning to save wasted water and wort

Right on! You certainly are dialed in!

I really don't like throwing wort out, seems I am always able to pull a mason or 2 from the fridge for starters lol!

I pull out 5 gallons of starter wort from second runnings boil that down to 3 then freeze

To any beginners reading this: OMB's results are an anomaly outside of professional rigs! About 80% conversion, 70% brew house is "normal" for homebrewers! That said, congratulations. My efficiency generally exceeds my prediction so I get a little extra beer as well, although I just ferment it and make my starters from DME.

that is completely correct, do not try to copy my results, Ive spent many years fine tuning my system to what it is today, a lot of testing, calibrating trying different technique's

You boil first then freeze ? And boil again afterwards ? Seems redundant ?

Back