Split a brew day

okoncentrerad

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Was reading another thread with sort of similar question, regarding saving a wort made with DME, and it made me thinking about something I've been pondering a few times. Would it be bad practice to mash in the morning, then let it rest (cold) for the day (~8 to 10 hours) and do the boil etc. later in the evening? Or mash in evening and boil in the morning?

I have difficulties to find the ~5 hours time I need for my brewing, hence the thought. IF it's doable, what's there to think about? Is it less doable with certain "ingredients" than others?

Ive done two different time saving methods.

1 measured milled and mashed in grain cold overnight and hit the flame next
morning was awhile back but cant remember any negative effects (probably not a heap of time savings).

2 ive mashed in my last pilsner stepped it to dex rest then left it wrapped up for 5 hours till i got home from other duties then sparged and continued brew day as normal. no side effects on this that i can say.

great thread idea though i look forward to what others opinions and experiences with this has been.

the problem can come from temperature, the bacteria thrive roughly between 90f to 145f so you'll have to keep it either higher or low or the wort can start to sour
I was thinking about keeping it cool (still cold outside, at least at nights) during the time between

I'm not certain, but maybe look at the 'no chill' method. I've done it a few times and it worked fine for the styles I did with it. Of course that's finished wort so not sure the same rules apply. Worth looking at least. Most use containers that can handle heat and suck back in on themselves as the wort cools.

This may be way out there, but what if you transfer the preboil wort to a keg, then purge the keg with CO2 after the keg is filled. That way you could chill the preboil wort in your Keezer to avoid the bacteria issues that Ozarks pointed out and mitigate oxidization. Then, when you are ready to resume the brew, empty the keg into your boil kettle and boil away.

*assumes you have kegs and a Keezer.

For a short time, you could keep fresh wort in the fridge. I'd chill it as soon as possible after sparging. It would take extra time to get the wort back up to temp for boil, but it might be worth it to split the brew day into mash and boil time like you're suggesting.

Thanks for the replies...I don't have kegs and keezer unfortunally, maybe some day but not at the moment :)
If I try something out I suppose it will be sort of a mix of suggestions...after mash I will just put the kettle outside over night to let it cool by itself and pick it up from there in the morning. It probably will be somewhat below 0 celsius in nighttime but since the wort is pretty hot and the kettle is insulated I don't think it will be freezing.

Thanks for the replies...I don't have kegs and keezer unfortunally, maybe some day but not at the moment :)
If I try something out I suppose it will be sort of a mix of suggestions...after mash I will just put the kettle outside over night to let it cool by itself and pick it up from there in the morning. It probably will be somewhat below 0 celsius in nighttime but since the wort is pretty hot and the kettle is insulated I don't think it will be freezing.
itll be fine i bet uf it comes to the worst itll be soured a little bit:)

itll be fine i bet uf it comes to the worst itll be soured a little bit:)
Could it really start to sour that fast?

That's an honest questions as I have no idea, but it's good info if I ever go the sour route.

I've done a 5 hour mash cause something came up without issue. As long as you can maintain heat it is pretty easy to do. The brulosophy guys did an exbeeriment on it too with no obvious downsides.

Could it really start to sour that fast?

That's an honest questions as I have no idea, but it's good info if I ever go the sour route.
well i know pasturization supposedly happens around 70c for half hour so lets say you hit mash out temp of 75c then seal tight as in alfoil over top of wort lid on cover with blankets walk away. the wort should have been serile ish.
i use this same theroy for pasturising my fruits for saisons so far so good:rolleyes:.

well i know pasturization supposedly happens around 70c for half hour so lets say you hit mash out temp of 75c then seal tight as in alfoil over top of wort lid on cover with blankets walk away. the wort should have been serile ish.
i use this same theroy for pasturising my fruits for saisons so far so good:rolleyes:.
Agreed - the wort is fairly sanitary. As long as you keep air out and chill the wort, you should be able to store it overnight with no ill effects. And a little lacto isn't bad - as long as you can't taste the yogurt character it takes on at higher concentrations. It will sour, though, if left too long or too warm.

Thanks all, I will give it a try this weekend and hope for the best

So I've done this split brew day now and it was pretty ok. Total time was a bit longer I suppose but it was good to make it "off-hours" to not to interfer with other weekend family duties...

I did as suggested above, did a mash out to reach 75C/167F where I let it sit for a while and hoping things would get fairly bug-free. Put the kettle outside over night too cool, lid on, wrapped with alu foil. Don't think too bad things happend, no weird smell from the wort as I brought it in this morning :) Will wait and see now for some weeks how it turns out....I hate waiting :rolleyes:

Yesterday eve I was surfing the net for other tips of doing your brew day and found a couple of another alternatives ... do anyone of you have any thoughts about the brulosophy short & shoddy method? (not sure if they are the origin of this, but never mind...)
And also, what about this one...onepotbrewer....where he mash, boil and ferment all in same kettle, no transfer or anything?

So I've done this split brew day now and it was pretty ok. Total time was a bit longer I suppose but it was good to make it "off-hours" to not to interfer with other weekend family duties...

I did as suggested above, did a mash out to reach 75C/167F where I let it sit for a while and hoping things would get fairly bug-free. Put the kettle outside over night too cool, lid on, wrapped with alu foil. Don't think too bad things happend, no weird smell from the wort as I brought it in this morning :) Will wait and see now for some weeks how it turns out....I hate waiting :rolleyes:

Yesterday eve I was surfing the net for other tips of doing your brew day and found a couple of another alternatives ... do anyone of you have any thoughts about the brulosophy short & shoddy method? (not sure if they are the origin of this, but never mind...)
And also, what about this one...onepotbrewer....where he mash, boil and ferment all in same kettle, no transfer or anything?
the one pot brew seems the go youd want to make sure your tap or spigot is above trub level wgich can be up to 2-3 inch thick.

hey google.No Chill brewing it may be right up your alley? coupled with old.mates method would be good

Guess it's a good thing there aren't just one way of doing things :D

I mash in a chest cooler so I don't lose much heat, haven't thought about it in a kettle.

Back