Setting times in recipe to get the brew timer to work properly?

W Wags

Trial Member
Reaction score
so I hav a NEIPA recipe that I am brewing. It has a first wort hop add, 60min boil, and three whirlpool hop adds in the 40 minute whirlpool, 40, 30, 20min. Question is how do I setup the times in each hop to have it show up in the brew timer properly? I want to be able to hit start at the first wort add and have it alert me to everything along the way. Thinking hitting start at hot break is probably more realistic due to unknown time from FW to HB.... I am new to using Brewers Friend. I searched the forum, not rely knowing what to search for I didn’t come up with anything....

Thanks, Will

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but when you input your hops when building your recipe, you enter the times there. When ready to brew, it will track the time and let you know when to add each addition. You choose when to start your boil timer. I typically wait a few minutes for hot break.
I find the bf timer kinder clunky and a bit of pain. I use my google home with voice commands for all my timers these days. Works fabulous imo. Our stove timer never gets used anymore either.

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but when you input your hops when building your recipe, you enter the times there. When ready to brew, it will track the time and let you know when to add each addition. You choose when to start your boil timer. I typically wait a few minutes for hot break.
I find the bf timer kinder clunky and a bit of pain. I use my google home with voice commands for all my timers these days. Works fabulous imo. Our stove timer never gets used anymore either.

Sorry wasn’t as clear as I could have been. I did set the time in the in each hop. When you pick First Wort time is grayed out and it doesn’t show up in the timer. There are no boil adds but 3 during the 40 minute whirlpool. I entered 40, 30, and 20 for the time but it didn’t show up in the timer either.

Not sure how to properly enter times for those to get it to show up for 1, and 2, get it to time properly. Do insurance, should the first add in the whirlpool have a time set to 70 with a boil of 100 minuets, 60 min boil + 40 min whirlpool? Or something like that...

Thanks, Will

If I'm picking up what your putting down you've successfully set your whirlpool hops as such in the hops section and added their whirlpool times given in the box provided next to the hop utilisation box correct? I start my whirlpool hop times or rather set my whirlpool time from when I reach my whirlpool/hop stand temperature I wish to begin with usually 80c. So yesterday's brew had a 30min hop stand at 80c so I put this into the hop recipie section as thus:). Oh I don't use brew day timer I just set it manually sorry.
image.png

Thanks for all the information!... Yes, that’s what I have going on. For reference, trying to reproduce the Wedlworks Juicy Bits NEIPA. Does not get temps just times in the recipe. I’m using the IOS app and when I start a brew session, click on brew timer, I only get mash and sparge timer and boil with immersion chiller and sanitize lid alarms... No hop adds show up in the timer. If I switch them to boil then they show up? Not sure if it is me doing something wrong or program doing something wrong?....

Thanks for all the information!... Yes, that’s what I have going on. For reference, trying to reproduce the Wedlworks Juicy Bits NEIPA. Does not get temps just times in the recipe. I’m using the IOS app and when I start a brew session, click on brew timer, I only get mash and sparge timer and boil with immersion chiller and sanitize lid alarms... No hop adds show up in the timer. If I switch them to boil then they show up? Not sure if it is me doing something wrong or program doing something wrong?....

You here in the Northern CO area?

maybe brewersfriend software developers just havnt accounted for this whirlpool timer in brew day timer function maybe a question to put towards the brains of this outfit (deffinetly not me).

Ah ha...... Thank for the help everyone!

Back